Liquid Soap Oils???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkqueen

Reaction score
I'm about to beginning making liquid soap and have seen many recipes that call for different oils. I am looking to make a castile type liquid soap that can be used in a all around manner. Some call for just olive oil only, some coconut oil only, and some with a combination of both. I am just wondering if the combinations make any difference or not. I will be doing the hot process method with a crock pot, if that helps. As well, is it better to keep the paste and dilute as needed or dilute the whole batch?

Welcome.gif

Please take a moment to go to the Introduction Forum and tell us a little about yourself, especially your Soapmaking experience and anything else you care to share. This will make it easier for us to help you on your Soapy Journey and, if you're lucky, find a few soapy friends near you.

Yes, the combinations of various fats do make a difference. Coconut oil soap lathers well but is very drying to the skin. Olive oil soap is highly soluble in water but doesn't lather well. Mix the two in appropriate proportions to get the best properties of both.

A popular recipe here on SMF is 65% olive or other high oleic oil, 25% coconut oil, and 10% castor bean oil. In my experience it makes a liquid soap that is crystal clear, dilutes to a honey-thick consistency, lathers well, and is mild to the skin.

"Castile" is a word that has various meanings to various people, so I avoid using the word anymore when discussing soap making with other soap makers. To many soap makers, "castile" means soap made from 100% olive oil with no other fats. To other soap makers and the general consumer population, it means soap made from any combination of vegetable oils.

Latest posts

Back