Liquid soap not thickening

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

MindyLou

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I just finished up making a liquid soap that has Coconut, Castor, and Jojoba oil with Coconut being about 74% of the oils. Everything was going well and then I diluted the soap with borax and added a little more as it recommended it would help thicken up the soap. I let it sit overnight and as of this morning it was still runny like water. Is there any way for me to still thicken it up and how do I go about doing it? I was reading many posts on using other alternatives but saw that it is very dependent on the oils you are using so not sure what to follow for the recipe I was making.
Thanks for any words of wisdom. This is my second go at making liquid soap. The first batch was filled with lots of learning moments :)

Kcryss

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I just finished up making a liquid soap that has Coconut, Castor, and Jojoba oil with Coconut being about 74% of the oils. Everything was going well and then I diluted the soap with borax and added a little more as it recommended it would help thicken up the soap. I let it sit overnight and as of this morning it was still runny like water. Is there any way for me to still thicken it up and how do I go about doing it? I was reading many posts on using other alternatives but saw that it is very dependent on the oils you are using so not sure what to follow for the recipe I was making.
Thanks for any words of wisdom. This is my second go at making liquid soap. The first batch was filled with lots of learning moments :)
I've only made two batches of liquid soap, both 100% CO. Both were thin liquid and to my knowledge, there is no way to make it thicker. Others here may know if there is a way or not.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
Your recipe doesn't have enough oleic acid in it. You simply cannot thicken a low oleic soap with table salt or borax or other salt. This type of soap is always going to be thin unless you use a cellulose-based thickener that doesn't rely on the oleic acid content for thickening.