Liquid soap not going to gel stage

Discussion in 'Liquid Soap and Cream Soap Forum' started by Venkatesh, Jan 13, 2020.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jan 13, 2020 #1

Venkatesh

Venkatesh

Venkatesh

Hi,
    My liquid soap not going to gel stage. Its showing the ph level between 12-14 have attached the recipe from soapcalc.net.The soap has become hard. My potassium hydroxide flakes shows 99% purity does it affects the formulation?.

4293E6E1-8CEF-44F0-BFB0-B8EB43E57AA7.png

regards,
    Venkatesh

2. Jan 13, 2020 #2

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

Batches don't always go through all the stages. Others, with more experience in LS, will chime in, I'm sure.

3. Jan 13, 2020 #3

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

"...My potassium hydroxide flakes shows 99% purity does it affects the formulation?..."

Of course it does! You set the calculator to use 90% purity and 3% superfat. You actually have 99% purity KOH and 3% superfat. That means your soap has about 6% lye excess, not a 3% superfat. The excess alkali in this soap will need to be neutralized with an acid.

A 100% coconut oil KOH soap (almost no oleic acid) will not be the same as a KOH soap that contains a lot oleic acid. Also the way the soap is made -- especially how much water may have evaporated out when the soap was saponifying -- will also affect the appearance of the soap paste.

4. Jan 14, 2020 #4

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Draft saved Draft deleted