liquid soap natural colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you add alkanet powder to the water when you go to dilute the soap to make??? Or would that cause spoilage?

I infused the oil but it came out a burnt brown maroon color either due to either the temp of the crock pot or the alkalinity of the potassium hydroxide. So, that was why I was wondering if I could infuse the water with alkanet? I wouldn't think it would cause spoilage as long as the ph is right.

What was the color to the cp or liquid to the one you tried?
I am still working a color out to the infused water. I think I might be on to something.

I order Yellow dock powder to try next. But, I am still working with the alkanet root for the liquid soap.

Well verdict is in on Alkanet Root Powder in liquid soap and it's a big no! Alkanet does not have the same outcome in liquid soap as it does with CP soap. It just turns a brown color. But, Madder root is showing some potential.... SO what to do what to do????? How to get a purple color in my liquid soap with out oxides or FD& C?

I found this info it may answer the Alkanet Root part
Alkanet root
Produces a red/purple to blue/purple depending on the ph of the final bar of soap. The higher the lye discount, the redder the purple color. Oils with more yellow such as mango butter and essential oils with a high orange color will mute the final color of the soap. So, to produce a deeper red, try to use oils that are devoid of a yellowish tinge e.g. coconut oil, soybean shortening, lard, and mango refined mango butter.

Place one cup of the root in a quart jar and add oil of your choice to fill. Deduct a portion of oil used in soap recipe to use to steep herbs in

Let steep for a couple of days shaking or stirring every so often to macerate. When ready to use, pour off a small portion such as 4 ounces of same oil in your formula. For example if the formula calls for 8 ounces of olive oil, use 4 ounces of the steeped oil added to 4 ounces of fresh olive oil and so on.

The greater the portion of alkanet oil, the darker the color will be. Keep good notes so it will be easy to repeat the color in future batches. To darken the color, use wheatgerm oil as a portion of the base oils used.
I found this on http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art50548.asp

Yeah I steeped the alkanet root first in oils in my first batch, but still came out brown with the liquid soap. Hmmm

Latest posts

Back