Liquid soap making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.S

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I have been making cp soap bars from last few years. I tried liquid soap recently. Still learning about it. I have few questions
1. I superfat my liquid soap with 5%is it too much super fat ? How much would you do ?
2. Why do you nuetralise liquid soap with borax ? Even if it is superfat ?
Thanks in advance

1a. I stick with 3% superfat. If your soap doesn't separate with 5% superfat, then that's working for yo and no reason to change. If you are seeing separation, you should probably reduce the superfat.

1b. If you are also neutralizing (#2), then you might see separation due to the neutralization reaction. The solution to that is to not neutralize.

2. For a liquid soap with superfat, neutralization is not required. You're mashing two methods of making liquid soap into one. The traditional method is intentionally lye heavy and requires neutralization. The more recent method contains a positive superfat and does not require neutralization.

1a. I stick with 3% superfat. If your soap doesn't separate with 5% superfat, then that's working for yo and no reason to change. If you are seeing separation, you should probably reduce the superfat.

1b. If you are also neutralizing (#2), then you might see separation due to the neutralization reaction. The solution to that is to not neutralize.

2. For a liquid soap with superfat, neutralization is not required. You're mashing two methods of making liquid soap into one. The traditional method is intentionally lye heavy and requires neutralization. The more recent method contains a positive superfat and does not require neutralization.
Thanks DeeAnna. For diluting liquid soap do you add glycerin or just distilled water ?

Glycerin can be used, but I don't see the benefit of it. Adding a lot of glycerin reduces lather and it increases the cost. I always use just distilled water.

Just to clarify, I use water or a combination of water and glycerin to make the soap paste. But I always use only distilled water to dilute the paste.

Latest posts

Back