liquid soap help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canyonhorses

Reaction score
I made a batch of liquid soap but am having trouble. I followed Snow Drift farms directions. I used a different recipe. Also used goats milk. It turned brown like they said it would but I can not get it to become transparent. It stays a brown color. It traced good. I cooked it in a double pan for probably 10 hours. I shut it off when I went to be and started again in the Morning. Any suggestions?

thanks
Paula

Whats the link for the directions you used and what recipe did you use?

I've made many batches of liquid soap.

This is my recipe. I run it through MMS.

Coconut Oil 5.6 oz
Corn Oil 3.2
Olive Oil 2.4
Palm Kernel Oil .80
Soybean Oil 1.6
Lard 2.4
Water 4 oz
GM 3.5
Lye 3.26 6%
I did up the milk by 1.5 oz.

http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/form_liquidsoap.html
I just can't seem to get a liquid soap made right and that is one I would really like. I guess just keep trying. Someday it may all cometogerther right?

Maybe I should have used less lye???

thanks
Paula

LOL ok I haven't run it through any calculators yet, but from learned experience that you don't want to add crisco or lard to your oils when making liquid soap. Well of course unless you like liquid soap that has the texture of Jell-O

But also you need KOH (potassium hydroxide) and not lye when making liquid soap. This is very important and they can't be interchanged.

Good Luck Paula,

I have halfed this recipes without any problems if you want to start out making a smaller batch first.

I suggest using a larger pot than you would expect and it's also easy to get things to hot. You will know this because it will foam up and if your not careful go over the side of the pot. I have a set of 3 nesting stainless steel pots. I'm not sure on their sizes but I use the two biggest for soap making. But if I only make a small batch i'm comfortable with using the smaller two.

I highly encourage you to wear a pair of those pretty yellow playtex gloves when you work with this. To not just protect your hands form the KOH but also the heat just in case.

And have your sink close and EMPTY and clean just in case it starts to boil over you can rush it over there quickly. Because once it starts to boil over not much will hold it back. Which is why the gloves are handy so you can scoop up some of the boiled over soap from the sink and put back into your pot. (which is why the sink needs to be clean.)

Just wanted to share that with you. A few things I learend when making liquid soap.

faithy said:
But also you need KOH (potassium hydroxide) and not lye when making liquid soap. /quote]

Ok I just reread this post. I did use KOH. I called it lye. Sorry. It keeps truning a dark brown carmel color. Is that natural using GM? I am trying to keep most all of my soaps and products GM. Thanks for the help. I haven't been able to try another batch as my SB went bad on be and I haven't been able to get another one yet.
thanks
Paula

Latest posts

Back