liquid soap dyes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p8ryot

Reaction score
I made my first MP yesterday using clear glycerin from "Michaels". I used liquid colorant drops and my lather is colored rather than white. Of course it rinses away fine but my wife refuses to use it because it concerns her. Is this normal or would powdered Mica instead of liquid solve the problem. I bought the drops from the same area as the candle soap making shelf.

Hello and welcome! Those liquid colorant was well as their MP soap are not the best quality. You likely used too much colorant. And yes, micas are much easier to use. I’ve only ever used micas in MP and not had an issue. Though I don’t make a lot with it, mostly just imbeds for my CP. I’d be careful with that on any expensive wash cloths as it may stain.

I recommend using better bases and colorant from reputable companies if you plan on delving deeper into it. Wholesale Supplies Plus, Brambleberry are good places to start.

Its from using too much dye. Its perfectly safe, though I wouldn't recommend using it with a white wash cloth in case of staining.

Mica will also color lather if too much is used.

Back