Liquid Soap Calculations and Qualities

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSoapGoat

Reaction score
Hello, I hope all is well and thanks for reading my thread. I apologize if this question has been asked before, yet I cannot find the answer on here or the internet.

I have been making bar soap for quite some time now. I would now like to move on to making liquid soap, however, I am a little confused about going about it and creating my own recipe. Using soapcalc, I select KOH and continue as I would normally, putting in my oils and their percentages. Once I view the recipe is when the confusion comes in.

Do I need to worry about the soap qualities? I would assume not since it says "bar soap qualities," but I'm not sure. How do I know if my recipe is a good liquid soap recipe? How do I know which oil percentages I need to tweak? Do I just follow the list besides it that states oleic, linoleic, etc.? Do I need to superfat still?

I just want to make a good liquid soap recipe using the oils of my choice. So in conclusion, how do I create a LS recipe and how do I know if it is any good before creating it? Liquid soap is a whole new ballgame for me. I have read tons on the process. It is just now that I am wanting to create my own recipe that baffles me.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! And I apologize if I come off as dense haha. Like I said, creating a liquid soap recipe is all new to me.

Thanks in advance!

I am a little confused about going about it and creating my own recipe. Using soapcalc, I select KOH and continue as I would normally, putting in my oils and their percentages. Once I view the recipe is when the confusion comes in.
I hear ya! It is confusing. But once you understand how formulating liquid soap differs from formulating hard bars, hopefully you'll achieve success.
Do I need to worry about the soap qualities? I would assume not since it says "bar soap qualities," but I'm not sure.
You're assumption is correct. Those values are meant for hard bars.
How do I know if my recipe is a good liquid soap recipe? How do I know which oil percentages I need to tweak?
Please read the information I just posted on this thread.
Do I need to superfat still?
0% - 3% SF is the norm for liquid soap. I soap at o% SF and use KOH 90% because I want all the oils to be fully saponified to insure clarity. I then use a 20% citric acid solution to neutralize any excess lye (altho, there are times when I don't bother. LOL) The 3% SF also can produce clear soap but has the advantage of not requiring neutralization.
how do I create a LS recipe and how do I know if it is any good before creating it?
Pretty much trial and error. There are guidelines in the thread mentioned above. You will be amazed at the variety of choices you have when making LS.
Good starter recipe: 50/50 Coconut Oil & Liquid Oil(s) of choice.
My family favorite: 50/50 PKO & Lard

ETA: Be sure to post your recipe for input before you make it... and start with small 12 - 16 oz. batches. 12 oz. of oil makes 16 oz of paste which you can then divide up into four 4 oz portions to play with to determine the amount of dilution water needed as well as playing with scent & color.

HAPPY LS-ING! :)

Last edited:
Back