Liquid soap base with Tallow and Peanut oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mllepookie

Reaction score
Hey guys!
My previous recipe for my liquid soap base was peanut oil and Coconut oil in 1:1 ratio. It's worked for me for years!
However, I am out of coconut oil and it doesn't look like my local distributor is carrying it anymore. On a side note, I have a TON of beef tallow.
Does anybody have any experience with a liquid soap base using tallow and peanut oil (or vegetable oil or soybean oil)?
Running through soapcalc, it seems to be yielding almost no bubbles and hardly any cleansing qualities.. I also have castor oil.
I can use pretty much any oil except for coconut (castor, shea, cocoa, olive, peanut, soybean, sunflower, vegetable, etc) but I would prefer for the bulk to be tallow since I have SO much of it.
I've also thought about adding simple syrup to increase bubbles but my gut instincts tell me tallow/peanut just isn't a very good combination.

Any advice?
Thanks!
pookie

Soap with a low or zero "cleansing" score can still emulsify fats and greasy dirt, so it can clean the skin just fine. The "cleansing" number is the combined percentage of the lauric and myristic fatty acids in the soap. It's important to understand this true definition of this number, rather than take the "cleansing" name literally.

I would be a bit skeptical about soap made just from peanut oil and tallow, because I doubt it will build much lather. Also the stearic and palmitic acid content in tallow may cause the soap to be cloudy or opaque, if clarity is important to you. This is not a for-sure thing -- you'd want to try a test batch to verify.

I'd also be concerned about the soap going rancid, considering peanut is pretty high in linoleic acid, which is a fatty acid more prone to going rancid. Do you use ROE (rosemary oleoresin) antioxidant and or a chelator in your soap for protection against rancidity? If not, you might want to investigate these additives to see if they might be something useful to you.

If you've got lots of tallow to use up and peanut is your oil of choice, it might be worth your while to make a test batch to evaluate the soap anyways.

How much do you make at a time? If you aren't making huge batches, good-sized tubs of CO are readily available at decent prices from Costco, Walmart, and Big Lots.

Latest posts

Back