Liquid Soap anyone?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pink-north

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'll just get straigt to the point. I've been toying with the idea of making liquid soap. Has anyone every tried this? Does anyone have any pointers, suggestions.

Right now I just want to experiment for my own curiosity and use.

Thanks a bunch. :wink:

I have not because I havn't been soaping long, but next time I order sodium hydroxide, I plan on getting some potassium hydroxide also. I hope there are some answers to this, I am cusious also.. I would think it would be no different really other than the lye.

I got some Potassium Hydroxide at Texas Naturals about 6 months ago. It is still in the tub, wrapped in tape. Waiting.

Good luck!

Soon

I will be making some as soon as I get a spare day. Seems hard to come by these days. I have all the ingredients waiting, Ill keep ya posted when I do make it.
Sue

I love making liquid soap. For me it is best when I am making it in a crock pot. Do not be alarmed if your soap does not trace right away, it can take a LONG time...I have stick blended on and off for an hour once. Be careful with the solution and the raw soap, I had a drop of raw soap get on my skin and I felt instant burn. Make sure that you have phenolphthalein and or litmus paper on hand to test the soaps PH. Hope that helps :)

:D Thanks so much for the info. I still haven't found a supplier of KOH that is close by, but I'm still looking. I think I will go with the crock pot method. Gives me an excuse to get another one.

When you go to get your crockpot, try looking in some thrift stores. I see them all the time in good condition for $5 or less. :)

I have made liquid soap with KOH about a year ago. (I haven't done any soap making for a year and planning to get back to it.)

When you make liquid soap, it won't have the same consistency as hand soap, shampoo, or body wash. So if you are thinking you will have something the same thickness and consistency, you will be sadly disappointed. It will be more liquid like and runny. There were ways suggested to help thicken it, but I don't recall using any. I made my liquid soap with a small crock pot.

liquid soap

I've had a couple of go's at making LS. It's fun, a bit labor intensive, but like cp soap, the more often you do it the easier it gets. A piece of advice...go easy on the coconut oil. The more coconut oil you use, the thinner your liquid soap will end up (which is fine for foamers but not for soap that you want in pumps or to use as a shower gel). For my first batch I used about 40% coconut oil and ended up with a very thin (though fabulous-feeling )liquid soap. Foamer time for that one :wink: Second batch i cut back to about 23% coconut oil and it has more body to it. It's definitely a work in progress.

Thanks for the tip. I'm still trying to find a supplier in town, buy may have to order it online. BTW which oils work best for liquid soap.

I notice olive oil is used the most. If I recall, softer soaps lead to thicker liquid soaps. So having a lot of olive oil and very little coconut oil is good.

When I made liquid soap they all included...
40-60% Olive Oil
10-15% Coconut Oil
10-22% Castor Oil

The rest may have also included Sweet Almond, Jojoba, and/or Avocado...

Don't do anymore than 40 % coconut oil if you would like a thicker soap. I thicken with borax, but that doesn't work if there is way too much coconut oil.

There is a good book called "Liquid Soaps" by Catherine Failor. I have used her recipes with great success.
If you want a thicker soap don't delute it with as much water.
Liquid soaps are alot of fun!

I agree with Lisa ... I love Failor's book. It's an excellent source of information.

Back