Liquid Soap and FO/EO reactions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsmar4211

Reaction score
Since there does not seem to be much on this subject, I figure I'll at least put my experiences down so far. Hopefully someone else will chime in with experiences!

Base Recipe: Single lye. Majority olive oil, next is sunflower oil, with a small portion of coconut and castor. Unscented is yellow amber color and clear.

Two weeks after adding to samples results:

TN Candle Peach Magnolia Rasberry-no darkening, no thickening, no clouding! Well behaved.

TN Candle Peppermint-couldn't get this one to play nice. Had to keep adding more and more, and then when I could finally smell it, the oil separated out. Either needs emulsifier or I did not heat it enough. Did not darken or thicken.

Fragrance Buddy Lemongrass EO-not sure on it yet, seems to have slightly clouded (only two days old)

FB Merlin's Forest-darkened a few shades to a brownish tint, low usage needed (strong stuff), seems to have ever so slightly thinned the sample but nothing to worry about.

TN Candle Lavender-no discolor but massive thickening...still working on new dilution rate!

Brambleberry Mahogany-thickened faster than Lavender did! Still working on new dilution...slightly darkened the LS but barely noticeable.

So far I've only had one bad experience adding EO/FO to a liquid soap. It was Winter Festival FO from Fragrancebuddy. No discoloration or separation but it turned my perfectly diluted LS into snotty jelly soap!

So far I've only used Ancient Sedona from BB in liquid soap. It worked perfectly. It doesn't need an emulsifier and it doesn't change the base. It discolors a pretty brown.

Latest posts

Back