Liquid shampoo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are not all the same and not all hair is created equal so some can use soap based and some cannot as we know. My long time as a cosmetologist always seeks through as we know. ;);) At least you put up with me without getting offended and I appreciate that.
No one is offended here!

You are correct. According to this INCI chart, potassium cocoate is the nomenclature for liquid soap made with coconut oil & KOH and I interpreted it as such. :) Scroll all the way to the end where it says to sub "potassium" for "sodium". I hope we can agree that, as such, no "emulsifier" is necessary. It's liquid shampoo not lotion that would require an emulsifier, yes?

Here's the ingredient break down -- I presume in order of highest to lowest % of each:

Water
Coconut oil 50%
Glycerin
Magnesium Chloride oil

Olive oil 30%
Tangerine essential oil (Fragrance)
Linseed (flaxseed) oil 5%
Pumpkinseed oil 5%
Sunflower seed oil 5%
Avocado oil 5%

Extracts: Pine, chamomile, nettle leaf, clover flower, green apple, pineapple.

If I wanted to duplicate this shampoo I would saponify the oils in blue with a combination of water, magnisum chloride flakes & glycerin + KOH to make the lye solution. I would add the Tangerine EO after dilution at the recommended % according to AFRA. I would add the extracts after dilution at the % recommended by the supplier.

Re: Magnesium Chloride "Oil" - Based on my resesarch, I'm thinking it would be best added as part of the liquid used to make the lye, similar to "Faux Sea Salt" in ZNSC.

What puzzles me the most is: Why are some of the ingredients listed colored green???
Green indicates organic.

Welcome to the forum, Soapmaker333. I hope you find the LS shampoo that you are aiming for, if it is your aim to make one yourself. As you read around inside the forums here at SMF, you'll find this is one of those controversial subjects that sometimes leads to very heated discussion. But please, as you read them, please take into account that the underlying intent of the cautionary posts therein, has been to prevent others from going through bad experiences they may have personally had themselves. That is my experience here at SMF. But not everyone has the same experience and just as not everyone's skin can tolerate the exact same bar soap formula, and some cannot even tolerate true soap at all, the same goes for Lye Shampoos, some have no problems using it, while others simply cannot. I won't go into my own experience with shampoos at this point, it's been done to death & it's my hair, not yours' anyway.

But there is one point I'd like to point out because I just have one minor issue with one of your statements/assumptions regarding why a person may or may not edit a post on a public forum. I am reminded of something about my husband that I now and again remind him of, and that is using the words "Everybody", "Always", and "Nobody" in blanket statements that excludes the possibility that there are outliers in these situations.

Not every edit a member makes is for the purpose of fixing insulting language. Ironically, that statement/assumption felt insulting to me. But just so you know, I am not truly insulted. It was a fleeting feeling, and I choose to let the feeling go because I believe you had no intent whatsoever to insult me.

Here is why I felt it on a personal level: I make a lot of edits, and almost always it is to correct spelling or grammatical errors or to add in something I had meant to include & inadvertently left out. Historically I am very bad at proof reading my own written material, so prior to submitting items for publication, I often requested friends or family to proof-read for grammatical errors. My Mom was the same way. In fact, she used to have my eldest son at the young age of 10 or 12 edit her work prior to submitting her column to the newspaper where she was a contract columnist (not on permanent staff). If the internet had existed at the time and she had participated in online forums, I am sure she would have had to go back and edit her posts as frequently as I do now, and it would never have had anything to do with rudeness. My mother was the epitome of politeness. I cannot say that I inherited her level of skilled interpersonal communication from her, but I do try to emulate both of my parents' better qualities.

@earlene Well said! Thank you. Unfortunately, after running a virtual marathon of 21 posts, mostly defending herself against an onslaught of well-intentioned comments from members, @Soapmaker333 has left the forum.
I'm just going to ignore it and move on. They are quite passionate

Last edited:
@Zany_in_CO that is a very interesting view of the situation given that this person started an all-out attack based on a misperception of another member's "tone," and continued to berate her despite attempts by others to assure her that no harm was intended.

Also, we have no information about whether she left voluntarily or was removed by admins for that behavior.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back