Liquid Shampoo Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsc

Reaction score
From my research I understand shampoo can be made with oils & lye but also with other ingredients found on the swiftcraftymonkey website. Per that website using oils can leave your hair greasy. I have never made shampoo before - can anyone elaborate on their own shampoo making experience?

My homemade shampoos wrecked my hair. I had to have a lot of it cut off. However, there are folks on here that use their own soaps/shampoos with good results. I just did not have good results.

Liquid soap is not suitable for hair. However, shampoos made with surfactants and hair friendly additives works great. I have made my own shampoo for a few years. I have found the Swift Crafty Monkey blogspot a great help in formulating shampoo for my hair type.

I think it depends on your recipe, your water, and your hair. A lot of people use lye-based shampoo bars and swear by them. I tried one once. My water is rock hard, so it just turned my hair into a tangled, sticky mess. I didn't find it greasy though. If you have soft water, I say give it a try and see. Worst case, you can use it as hand soap or body wash. If you have hard water, it's probably not going to work.

Since my shampoo bars didn't work out for me, I've been using the organic shampoo base from Brambleberry, and I really like that. I add some extra stuff and EOs.

Latest posts

Back