Liquid Shampoo Question

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

gsc

Reaction score
From my research I understand shampoo can be made with oils & lye but also with other ingredients found on the swiftcraftymonkey website. Per that website using oils can leave your hair greasy. I have never made shampoo before - can anyone elaborate on their own shampoo making experience?

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My homemade shampoos wrecked my hair. I had to have a lot of it cut off. However, there are folks on here that use their own soaps/shampoos with good results. I just did not have good results.

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
^^
Ditto what Susie said. I can't use my own soap for shampoos.

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Liquid soap is not suitable for hair. However, shampoos made with surfactants and hair friendly additives works great. I have made my own shampoo for a few years. I have found the Swift Crafty Monkey blogspot a great help in formulating shampoo for my hair type.

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shampoo is NOT lye based and is very hard on hair. You need to make a surfactant based shampoo and you can buy a high quality shampoo for much less than you can make it.

joy.

Reaction score
I think it depends on your recipe, your water, and your hair. A lot of people use lye-based shampoo bars and swear by them. I tried one once. My water is rock hard, so it just turned my hair into a tangled, sticky mess. I didn't find it greasy though. If you have soft water, I say give it a try and see. Worst case, you can use it as hand soap or body wash. If you have hard water, it's probably not going to work.

Since my shampoo bars didn't work out for me, I've been using the organic shampoo base from Brambleberry, and I really like that. I add some extra stuff and EOs.

Latest posts