Liquid Shampoo & Conditioner

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smengot0

Reaction score
Hi all,

Am hoping to make a natural liquid shampoo and conditioner for my daughter.
Susan from swift crafty monkey blog is now for members only. Am at a dead end.
Please help. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks Zany. I make cp soap every week at least.... I have made over 5 batches of liquid soap and 2 of creamy liquid soap using recipes/methods by IrishLass. I have made many successful batches of lotions. So I guess am no longer a newbie so to speak.

I have made a few good shampoo bars too.

With liquid soap and natural shampoo, I don’t seem understand how liquid soap becomes shampoo or.......

I appreciate your help

Thanks Zany. ,,,
I appreciate your help
You're welcome. :)
With liquid soap and natural shampoo, I don’t seem understand how liquid soap becomes shampoo or...
Excellent question!
FYI I started soaping in 2003 at age 60. In 2004, I joined an online forum and the Liquid Soapmaking Yahoo Group. I've tried every bar soap or liquid soap that happened to be in the shower that day to shampoo my hair. Some worked well; some not so much! :p

So, the first answer to your question is, there is no "One Size Fits All" when it comes to shampoo. It takes a bit of trial and error to find what works for you. The links I provided above should help guide you through the process -- or you may already have something in mind to convert to a liquid shampoo. ?

Second, the single most important thing to remember with lye-based shampoo -- bars or liquid -- is to rinse with increasingly cool water until it's as cold as you can stand it (think "viking" :D) to get all the soap scum out.

Third, follow up with an ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinse to restore the pH balance of the scalp. 1 tablespoon of ACV in 8 oz water works for me. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

Four, lye-based liquid shampoo requires a period of adjustment. For me it took a year when I would switch off to an OTC brand temporarily, but once I got through that, I've never looked back. I don't need conditioner any more, but I do have a hot oil treatment from time to time and I also rub a dot of argan oil between my palms, and put it on my hair for shine.

Last edited:
HOMEMADE CONDITIONER

If you've made lotion, then making conditioner is easy. The only difference is you use a lot less oil and, instead of Ewax NF, use BTMS aka "Conditioning Emulsifying Wax" formulated especially for hair conditioners. (For a PDF of Swift Crafty Monkey's explanation of BTMS, click on my avatar and choose "Conversation". I don't know how else to share PDFs on the Forum. :()

Here's a link to my Easy Conditioner to try:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/zanys-hair-conditioner-with-lemon.74243/

Another suggestion - ELEMENTS BATH & BODY - good value for the dollar! ;)
Gentle 2-in-1 Cleansing Conditioner Base
https://www.elementsbathandbody.com/gentle-2-in-1-cleansing-conditioner-base.html

Last edited:
Make shampoo not soap, especially if you daughter has long hair she loves. I really wish folks would realize soap is very bad for hair
Carolyn, you made a good point. Feel free to edit your post to add a link to a thread where this has been discussed many times before.

Make shampoo not soap, especially if you daughter has long hair she loves. I really wish folks would realize soap is very bad for hair

Yes she has tried a few shampoo bars and didn’t like so much. She requested to try a homemade shampoo

HOMEMADE CONDITIONER

If you've made lotion, then making conditioner is easy. The only difference is you use a lot less oil and, instead of Ewax NF, use BTMS aka "Conditioning Emulsifying Wax" formulated especially for hair conditioners. (For a PDF of Swift Crafty Monkey's explanation of BTMS, click on my avatar and choose "Conversation". I don't know how else to share PDFs on the Forum. :()

Here's a link to my Easy Conditioner to try:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/zanys-hair-conditioner-with-lemon.74243/

Another suggestion - ELEMENTS BATH & BODY - good value for the dollar! ;)
Gentle 2-in-1 Cleansing Conditioner Base
https://www.elementsbathandbody.com/gentle-2-in-1-cleansing-conditioner-base.html

Zany you’re awesome. This forum is full good and generous members. Thank you

Back