Liquid Shampoo and Syndet Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all i have discovered a lovely shampoo from my hairdresser and was wondering if i can duplicate it and maybe even convert it into a solid bar too.

aloe vera juice
Coco glucoside (coconut, corn, & fruit)
Glyceryl stearate (vegetable)
Xanthan gum
Hydrolyzed oats
Panthenol
Cucumis sativis (cucumber)
Rosmarinus sativis (rosemary)
Mentha virdis (spearmint eo)
Polysorbate 80 (vegetable)
Citric acid
Eco certified preserve Contains : benzyl alcohol, salicylic acid, glycerin (and) sorbic acid

I don't have any suggestions about duping this formulation as a liquid product. If you can source the coco glucoside (I see Ingredients to Die For carries it), it seems likely you can create your own version pretty easily.

I really doubt you can turn this product into a solid bar formulation because the main and secondary surfactants are liquids. The main surfactant(s) have to be solids to make a solid bar -- you really can't use liquid surfs and have a reasonable chance of success. If you replace the coco glucoside and the polysorbate 80 with solid surfs, you'll entirely change the nature of the product.

If you really want a solid syndet shampoo bar, I suggest starting with solid shampoo bar recipes rather than trying to adapt this product. You'll be time and money ahead.

Thanks DeeAnna for looking into this. I do have a syndet drying right now so waiting to see how it performs. It came in at pH 5.89 which is a bit high i think but I couldn’t source lactic acid which might lower the pH. I see it is available now. Too bad I couldn’t convert this ine for travelling but no biggie. I will give the liquid a shot.

Ok just a few more questions please...
For the cucumber do i just take one and blenderize it?
Would i also blendarize the rosemary? I looked for rosemary extract but eo keeps coming up.
You do not want to introduce fresh veggies and herbs into your shampoo. That's just asking for mold. Seeing as you're in Canada, try Voyageur Soap & Candle.

https://www.voyageursoapandcandle.com/pages/search-results-page?q=rosemary+extract
https://www.voyageursoapandcandle.com/products/cucumber-peel-extract-powder

Any kind of food source, dried or fresh, will greatly increase the chance of microbial growth. The cucumber is one ingredient that I'd err on the side of leaving it entirely out for safety's sake. Ditto for the aloe.

Most commercial manufacturers add only the tiniest bit of additives like cucumber, etc., mainly for label appeal. They also (theoretically) have the ability to do challenge testing to prove the efficacy of the sanitation in their manufacturing processes and the efficacy of their preservative.

Most of us hobby crafters don't have these resources for sanitation control and product testing. It's best to not get too wild about adding food sources.

Thanks DeeAnna for looking into this. I do have a syndet drying right now so waiting to see how it performs. It came in at pH 5.89 which is a bit high i think but I couldn’t source lactic acid which might lower the pH. I see it is available now. Too bad I couldn’t convert this ine for travelling but no biggie. I will give the liquid a shot.
You could try citric acid to lower your pH. It’s much easier to source.

Interesting...would i use the same percentage and does it help harden the bar like lactic acid?
I generally make a 50% solution of citric acid and distilled water (50% Citric and 50% Distilled water) - add very small amounts (1-2 grams) and test the pH. I use a pH meter. I don't think it would harden the bar but you need so little it doesn't seem to matter.

Latest posts

Back