Liquid or powder sodium lactate?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloridaSoaper

Reaction score
Does it matter which version you use? I was trying to buy the powder, but MMS has it in liquid form only ...I was really wanting to get a couple more fragrances from them...

What do you suggest?

What will you be using the SL for?
What are you hoping to achieve with the SL?

That will help determine if you want the powder or liquid.

I myself use the liquid in most applications, but that is just
my preference.

I didn't even know the liquid existed until I started shopping, lol. I have read in another thread that sodium lactate and sugar can make hp soap more smooth when you're getting ready to pour it into molds. Also, I wanted to try it in cp soap to see what it does to make the soap harder. Really just experimentation. In the other thread about making hp soap pourable, someone recommended using 1Tbsp. of sodium lactate (I assumed powder) and mixing it into the lye, hot oils, or in the gelled soap after it was done cooking...not sure now if they were talking about powder or liquid...but wondered if the measurements would be the same for either version of the SL? Thanks!

howd that work?

I was curious if you ever ended up trying the sodium lactate for you HP? I'm getting into HP & like it but prob like most if it was easier to pour that'd be great. If you tried it would you please let me know? Curious to amounts used, powder or liquid, if its expensive.Sorry for all the questions but this sounds too good to be true! Thanks in advance.

Re: howd that work?

lovelysuds said:
I was curious if you ever ended up trying the sodium lactate for you HP? I'm getting into HP & like it but prob like most if it was easier to pour that'd be great. If you tried it would you please let me know? Curious to amounts used, powder or liquid, if its expensive.Sorry for all the questions but this sounds too good to be true! Thanks in advance.

I have found adding 1 Tbl per pound oils in HP makes a big difference in making it more pourable. I use the liquid form. It is not expensive but as all ingredients, shop around, the price can vary. Many suppliers have it for less than $5.00 for a 16 oz container. I also use it in most of my CP soaps.

I tried the sodium lactate in HP a couple of weeks ago and found that it made the HP more fluid and easier to get into moulds with the resulting texture closer to CP. I used liquid SL and added 2% of oil weight into the lye water once it had cooled to about body temperature. Hardens the soap quickly after moulding too. :)

Last edited:
I use sodium lactate in every one of my cp soaps, makes it easier to get out of silicone molds and I can cut it much faster and I feel like it results in a harder and smoother bar.

Latest posts

Back