Liquid olive-oil candle help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dacq

Reaction score
I have a small plastic container with a round base, filled with water & olive oil. It has a lid, which I put a hole in. I soaked a wick (18/50 2mm thick) with the mixture & threaded it through the hole, leaving 2cm above the lid. I lit it but it burnt all the way down to the lid and expired. I've seen YouTube videos of such things working. What's wrong?

I don't make things like this, but the oil lamps I own have very large, loose wicks for use with lamp oil (odorless kerosene). I don't think your wick is anywhere close to large and open enough to wick up olive oil.

I make something similar to the OP (at least I think I do... maybe.... based on the description).

In any case, what I make is known as a 'floating candle' or a water/oil candle. Daqc- is that what you are talking about?

If so, I use these for mine: http://www.createforless.com/Pepperell-Candle-Wick-Floating-Kit/pid265612.aspx I bought them at HobbyLobby. They are cheap (less than $2.00) and they work great.

If that's the kind of 'candle' you're talking about, and you are trying to DIY from YouTube videos, I'm afraid I won't be of much help to you, because I tried to make my own DIY floating wick assemblies as per a few you-tube videos myself, and failed miserably. After my 3rd failed attempt, I found the above product from HobbyLobby, and am so happy with it. It works so much better than anything I tried to rig up, for sure. lol

To make mine, I take a decorative glass container, put some decorative rocks in the bottom, fill it about 2/3 of the way up with water (which I color with food coloring), pour about 1/2" to 1" of olive oil in it, and then I set the floating wick thing on top, just like what is shown in the following video, only I use my own glass container: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfRmSRTFc_U[/ame]

IrishLass :)

I get the "healthy" aspect if you are talking about eating the fat ... but how does this relate to candles??? How is canola any less toxic than any other oil?

I use the water floating wick candles from Hobby Lobby. Keep a container of cheap cooking oil and you have a candle in an emergency.
I used them during 6 days of no power after tornadoes in 2011.

I could put them in a shallow bowl and sit in in a sink and it was a night light.

Latest posts

Back