Liquid Menthol in CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keaton

Reaction score
I bought a bottle of Liquid Menthol from SaveonScents (product id 203758; I'd link it, but its not listed right now, and I bought it on clearance so maybe it never will). Does anyone else have experience with this product or a similar one?

I love cooling menthol products, and I want to possibly use it in body lotion as well as soap. I got this instead of menthol crystals simply because it was on clearance, but now I'm in a pickle, because I don't see recipes online that use liquid menthol.

I can't tell if I could use it as a direct 1:1 substitute for water, or if i just use a teaspoon or so per pound of oils, like a typical additive. I'm thinking the latter, as its kind of viscous, but I hope somebody who's used it before can help.

Interesting! I have never seen liquid menthol but have used crystals before (not in soap though so not too much experience to report here). I definitely wouldn't try a full water substitute -- that would be like peppermint soap on steroids! About which see this recent discussion :)
Let us know how it goes, this sounds like an interesting experiment.

Fortunately, I'm set up to make pretty small batches of soap. Even if the first try isn't enough to make it feel minty-cool, I think it probably won't ruin the soap either. Hopefully, I run a low risk of wasting my oils.

Even so, I think I'll try it in body lotion first. I'm trying to make up for LUSH not selling their chilly Christingle lotion this year. :(

I have used menthol crystals in a face wash once, and just a teeny bit of them would go a long way (I still have a bunch of crystals left). No idea how it behaves in CP but at least in lotion I think it can be quickly over-powering. But you'll just have to try it and see how it goes!

I have soaped with crystals at 2% PPO. It had a very slight cooling sensation on skin, (almost unnoticeable), more present on private areas. I plan to make another batch and I will most likely go to 3% as like you, I like that cooling sensation. I have never even heard of a liquid. Sorry I can't be of more help with that.

Its all good. I might have to email the supplier so I can recall what precisely its made out of before i put it in a soap. But I'll post my results either way.

Its all good. I might have to email the supplier so I can recall what precisely its made out of before i put it in a soap. But I'll post my results either way.

I know peppermint essential oil has around 50% menthol in it, so you could probably use half of what you would normally use with your fragrance or essential oils. Always better to use a lower percentage first and then you can always go higher ;)

Back