Liquid Menthol in CP

Discussion in 'Aromatherapy, Herbs and Essential Oils' started by Keaton, Nov 17, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Nov 17, 2019 #1

Keaton

Keaton

Keaton

I bought a bottle of Liquid Menthol from SaveonScents (product id 203758; I'd link it, but its not listed right now, and I bought it on clearance so maybe it never will). Does anyone else have experience with this product or a similar one?

I love cooling menthol products, and I want to possibly use it in body lotion as well as soap. I got this instead of menthol crystals simply because it was on clearance, but now I'm in a pickle, because I don't see recipes online that use liquid menthol.

I can't tell if I could use it as a direct 1:1 substitute for water, or if i just use a teaspoon or so per pound of oils, like a typical additive. I'm thinking the latter, as its kind of viscous, but I hope somebody who's used it before can help.

2. Nov 17, 2019 #2

atiz

atiz

atiz

Interesting! I have never seen liquid menthol but have used crystals before (not in soap though so not too much experience to report here). I definitely wouldn't try a full water substitute -- that would be like peppermint soap on steroids! About which see this recent discussion :)
    Let us know how it goes, this sounds like an interesting experiment.

3. Nov 17, 2019 #3

Keaton

Keaton

Keaton

Fortunately, I'm set up to make pretty small batches of soap. Even if the first try isn't enough to make it feel minty-cool, I think it probably won't ruin the soap either. Hopefully, I run a low risk of wasting my oils.

Even so, I think I'll try it in body lotion first. I'm trying to make up for LUSH not selling their chilly Christingle lotion this year. :(

4. Nov 17, 2019 #4

atiz

atiz

atiz

I have used menthol crystals in a face wash once, and just a teeny bit of them would go a long way (I still have a bunch of crystals left). No idea how it behaves in CP but at least in lotion I think it can be quickly over-powering. But you'll just have to try it and see how it goes!

5. Nov 19, 2019 #5

Rsapienza

Rsapienza

Rsapienza

I have soaped with crystals at 2% PPO. It had a very slight cooling sensation on skin, (almost unnoticeable), more present on private areas. I plan to make another batch and I will most likely go to 3% as like you, I like that cooling sensation. I have never even heard of a liquid. Sorry I can't be of more help with that.

6. Nov 20, 2019 #6

Keaton

Keaton

Keaton

Its all good. I might have to email the supplier so I can recall what precisely its made out of before i put it in a soap. But I'll post my results either way.

7. Nov 22, 2019 #7

Aromasuzie

Aromasuzie

Aromasuzie

I know peppermint essential oil has around 50% menthol in it, so you could probably use half of what you would normally use with your fragrance or essential oils. Always better to use a lower percentage first and then you can always go higher ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted