Liquid Castille

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just decided to try another batch of this because i need shampoo for dd. i ended up using 27 oz of soap and am making a HUGE pot of this.

I am still enjoying this recipe and continue to use it for my shampoo and dish soap. It's nice to see the thread is still going. :)

i tried the pectin method using a 5-oz bar of shredded cp soap, 25 oz of water, and a little less than a teaspoon of SureGell pectin. cooked it on low in crockpot for a couple of hours and bottled. lather is nice, but it's still way too thin, and still separating a bit.

tried again with another batch, more pectin, and yet another batch using most of a small box of no-cook pectin. still no results that are viscous enough to really be useful. hhhhhhmmmmm, what am i doing wrong? or is this just expected to be thinner than a 'normal' dish soap or shampoo?

Paillo, I'm sorry it didn't work well. What were the ingredients in your soap? What brand of pectin did you use?

It seems we are all getting different results with this recipe. Mine has never separated. It turns to a congealed mass with lard soap, and with the olive or olive and castor, it works perfectly and makes a lovely shampoo.

Vintageliving said:
Paillo, I'm sorry it didn't work well. What were the ingredients in your soap? What brand of pectin did you use?

It seems we are all getting different results with this recipe. Mine has never separated. It turns to a congealed mass with lard soap, and with the olive or olive and castor, it works perfectly and makes a lovely shampoo.

i used the SureGel pectin, the tried-and-true brand that's been around for decades. earlier tried a house brand, but gave up on that, it didn't do anything ;)

the soap is pretty standard, OO, CO, Crisco, sweet almond, castor, shea butter plus botanicals etc...

i'm eager to get to the shampoo experiments, but for right now i have lots of sort-of-usable dish and laundry soap :)

Paillo, I wish I knew something to recommend. Some have used xanthan (aka xanthum) gum for thickener with success. Hopefully, someone who has used this method with a similar soap recipe to yours will see this thread and post some help.

Vintageliving said:
Paillo, I wish I knew something to recommend. Some have used xanthan (aka xanthum) gum for thickener with success. Hopefully, someone who has used this method with a similar soap recipe to yours will see this thread and post some help.

oh, right, i forgot about the xanthan gum, will try that, thank you vintage!!!

Paillo, all the best to you. Will you post the results? I make the same things all the time and so haven't had anything new to post about this recipe.

Thanks. :)

okay.. I am confused and request clarification pretty please:

MDL uses Cream Soap that was originally made with both NaOH and KOH?
So that of course will turn out to be great liquid soap since regular liquid soap is done with potassium hydroxide.

@ VL- Regarding The grated soap you start with: Is it CP, HP or
Whipped Soap using NaOH & KOH?

Has anyone used CP or HP soap made with Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH)
with this Pectin Liquid Soap method with success?

Mayren, I use CP, and nothing whipped. My soaps are olive, olive/castor, or lard.

The original posts of the thread are all regarding soaps made with sodium hydroxide. I haven't followed the entire life of this thread, so can only report that the lard soap I make, at 0% Superfatting, made by the pectin method, makes a dish soap, that works, even though it turns to a firm-ish, gelatinous mass.

The olive and olive/castor thicken somewhat, and make a very good, liquid shampoo for my personal needs. I use varying percentages of superfatting in those, and all have come out fine.

I use 1/2 teaspoon pectin with 5 ounces, by weight, of soap, and circa 30 ounces of water. For my needs, the water amount does not need to be exact.

I found MagiaDellaLuna's posts very helpful, and earlier in the thread, I went through all of her posts to help with how to have success with this method. I used the Advanced Search function to read her posts.

Hope this helps a bit. The thread has gotten rather complicated to read in its entirety.

Thank you.
I have read a ton of the threads and this one and
the ones from other forums on the same topic that
were generously shared with i think you and others.

If I can get it to work it'd be a treat.

Mayren said:
okay.. I am confused and request clarification pretty please:

MDL uses Cream Soap that was originally made with both NaOH and KOH?
So that of course will turn out to be great liquid soap since regular liquid soap is done with potassium hydroxide.

Hi Mayren
I use Whipped Soap, not Cream Soap. Whipped soap is made with only NaOH and does not contain KOH so it results in solid bars.

The soap has a high percentage of hard oils (80%) and is whipped rather than stick blended. You can read up on the process here
http://nizzymoulds.com/Whipped/index.htm

This thread inspires me to experiment with pectin. Thanks everyone for your posts!

Back