Liquid Castille

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagiaDellaLuna

Reaction score
I have been asked to make a 100% OO liquid soap. The customer is allergic to Coconut in any form.

Has anyone made this before and is there also a "slime" factor involved ?

Thanks.

I haven't made it - but I don't think there would be a slime factor as long as you are using potassium hydroxide and not trying to just dilute down a bar soap.

Thanks, Carebear.

I will be using KOH. I have made a few batches of liquid soap in the past, just never with plain OO. I will try a small batch and see how it turns out. He did not say I cannot use Castor oil and I'm thinking of perhaps doing 50/50 as those numbers come out better in soapcalc than 100 % OO.

MagiaDellaLuna said:
He did not say I cannot use Castor oil and I'm thinking of perhaps doing 50/50 as those numbers come out better in soapcalc than 100 % OO.

I would ask him about the castor oil, if he's allergic to coconut oil, he might possibly be allergic to castor oil as well.

I've had GREAT success grating 5 oz oo soap (just oo & lye - already made from previous stock) and gently mixing it with 1/2 tsp pectin (yes, pectin) and 30 oz of water. Heat on medum until thick. Its time cosuming, takes about an 2 hrs to heat (be sure to stir GENTLY (you don't want foam) but I don't know if that would work for you or not. I'm sure there's a better way but thats how I do it.

I have mentioned to him that I normally use OO, CO, Palm and Castor. The only thing he mentioned as an allergy was Coconut.

Unfortunately I do not have any pure OO soap on hand. You method sounds interesting, but I will have to make a batch from scratch so I may as well use KOH.

When I have more time available it will make an interesting experiment though.

Sunkawakan said:
MagiaDellaLuna said:
I've had GREAT success grating 5 oz oo soap (just oo & lye - already made from previous stock) and gently mixing it with 1/2 tsp pectin (yes, pectin) and 30 oz of water. Heat on medum until thick. Its time cosuming, takes about an 2 hrs to heat (be sure to stir GENTLY (you don't want foam) but I don't know if that would work for you or not. I'm sure there's a better way but thats how I do it.
really? how interesting. another experiment - whee!

Not sure, I'll check when I get home tonight and let you know. I do remember that the box is yellow, blue and white and I got it in the canning seciton of wally world.

Sun, thanks for checking. I don't know that Walmart stocks the same brands in every store. The different brands of pectin have different "ingredients".

I'm hoping the brand you use will be one I can get here. I'll check this thread late today, too.

Your recipe appeals to me. I'm keen to try it.

Vintageliving said:
Sun, thanks for checking. I don't know that Walmart stocks the same brands in every store. The different brands of pectin have different "ingredients".

I'm hoping the brand you use will be one I can get here. I'll check this thread late today, too.

Your recipe appeals to me. I'm keen to try it.

I have loads of soap "bits" from the ends of various logs ( not pure OO, so this will be for own use ) but I think I will give this a whirl too.

Sunkawakan, does the pectin prevent the soap and added water from separating after standing for a while ? In my early soaping days I "rescued" a failed rebatch by melting it down again and adding loads of water, thinking I could use it as a handwash liquid in the kitchen. It kept separating, so eventually I tossed it out.

Vintageliving said:
Sunkawakan, does the pectin prevent the soap and added water from separating after standing for a while ?

All I can tell you is yes, apparently. Mine has been sitting for about 2 months, getting used of course, with no separation. I also use this method when making my shampoo. I just make a batch adding my eos at the end. I know it sounds weird, pectin in your hair but it makes for a nice shampoo - which after all is, in a sense, liquid soap, isn't it - I use the 2 interchangebly in a pinch. If using on hair, and because I baby my hair, zap testing and curing is critical - I'd rather burn my skin than my hair!

I use a vinegar rinse on my hair (chamomile and apple cider vinegar) so any soap residue comes out without problem.

Sun, thanks for your posts. That was MDL who asked about the separating.

Were you able to find out the name of the brand of pectin you use?

I'm going to try this in the next few days, as I've got some freshly made olive/castor soap. It sounds as though this would be less work than making the liquid soap with potassium hydroxide.

I use apple cider vinegar as a rinse, too. I quite like it.

How often/much do you stir the mixture while it's heating?

Do you heat until thick, or to a certain temperature?

Thanks so very much!

Sure-Jell http://brands.kraftfoods.com/surejell/products.htm
Wally world carries it in their canning section as does Safeway and King Soopers if you have them where you are.

I don't stir a lot and only with a spoon (I use wooden and only because I like them), you don't want it foamy. Heat until the soap has melted and then I take a little bit out (1/2 tsp or so) and let it cool to test consistency - cook on medium or medium low until its just a bit thinner than what I want as it will thicken some with cooling - I like mine a bit thick but be reminded that the thicker it is, the lower the volume. In other words, don't expect to get 30 oz of liquid soap out of this due to the thickening - make sense.

Hope this helps. Next time I make a batch I'll take pics if anyone's interested.[/url]

I bought the Sure Jell Premium Fruit Pectin. Am going to give this a try today.

Sun, I'd be interested in photos of your next batch, if it's not much trouble.

Thank you very much for posting this recipe, and for your help.

Do you ever add essential oils, or extras, such as jojoba oil?

I add the eos just before pouring into the bottles (warning, go light) and will occasionally use joboba in the soaps - in fact, thats the ONLY time I use it is when I'm making soap for shampoo.

Also, rather than water I will, on occasion and/or special request from my sister, substitute a chamomile infusion for the water but you could use any infusion I suppose. I've never tried milk of any kind, not sure if it would curdle or not and don't really want milk in my hair.

I run it through soap calc, and use about 1 oz per 2lb batch (the rest is oo). I'll also add 1 tbs white sugar ppo but thats just habit and I like the lather it creates.

Sun, thanks. I agree, I wouldn't want milk in my hair.

I'll make an olive/jojoba batch of soap bars for shampoo soon. That sounds nice for face washing, too. I sometimes use straight jojoba oil as under eye and neck moisturizer.

I've got the pot on the stove now. Great fun!

Do you ever add anything other than essential oils before pouring into bottles?

It's very generous of you to post all this. I appreciate your help.

Do you ever add sugar to the liquid part as it is melting/thickening?

I like how simple this is.

I'm going to give this a try for liquid laundry soap too, once my lard soap sets up a bit.

"Do you ever add sugar to the liquid part as it is melting/thickening? "

No, that's what the pectin does I guess and to me that would be making soap jelly (yuck). And, as I said, I put sugar in my soap. Sounds like you might be over thinking it. Try a small batch (say 2.5 oz soap to 15 oz water and 1/4 tsp pectin if you're concerned. That way if you don't like the results you're not out much.

Sun, thanks very much. I've got the full batch on the stove and it looks good.

I'll try some sugar in a small batch of soap and see how I like it.

Back