Liquid Castile

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

biarine

Reaction score
I want to make a pure liquid Castile without coconut oil for my husband friend because she's allergic to coconut. I never made 100% olive oil liquid soap before. I wanted to know if It's slimy and no bubbles the same as the bar of pure Castile. Thank you

Dahila

Reaction score
I would like to make that too;)
If anyone comes to this thread (I hope I do not hack it briarine, and you do not mind) what is the reason to use double lye in LS. DeeAnna? How it would work with Castile soap .

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not DeeAnna, but double lye (KOH and NaOH) is usually an attempt to thicken the soap. It does not work. I have gone as high as 45% NaOH with no appreciable increased thickness.

If I were thinking of making a liquid Castile, I would actually make it a "Bastile" and add 10% castor oil. I made a batch like this not long ago for a friend of a friend. I also used IrishLass' glycerin method. Of course, re-run it through a lye calculator such as Soapee.com (which I know y'all know, but newbies read these threads also). I also used some sugar to boost those bubbles.

Last edited:

Dahila

Reaction score
Susie thank you so much. I had seen people making double lye LS and I was wondering why. Now I know. It does not work ;( thanks :)

biarine

Reaction score
I would like to make that too;)
If anyone comes to this thread (I hope I do not hack it briarine, and you do not mind) what is the reason to use double lye in LS. DeeAnna? How it would work with Castile soap .

No Dahila not at all. but I did make this morning with 2 lye which sodium and potassium combination. But I used 90% olive oil and 10 castor and I put 10 grams of sugar. I will dilute them tomorrow.

biarine

Reaction score
Thank you Susie and Dahila I already did this morning 60% potassium and 40% sodium with 10 grams of sugar. I will dilute it tomorrow.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
I agree with Susie. Using NaOH and KOH to make liquid soap is usually done to make the soap thicker. I don't see a lot of soapers saying this idea really works, however.

I think part of the problem is that we want to think of liquid soap as acting something like pancake batter -- the thickness changes smoothly and evenly from thin to thick as liquid is reduced or as the NaOH % goes up. Soap doesn't work that way.

Last edited:

biarine

Reaction score
I agree with Susie. Using NaOH and KOH to make liquid soap is usually done to make the soap thicker. I don't see a lot of soapers saying this idea really works, however.

I think part of the problem is that we want to think of liquid soap as acting something like pancake batter -- the thickness changes smoothly and evenly from thick to thin as more liquid is added or as the NaOH % goes up. Soap doesn't work that way.

That's interesting DeeAnna I don't have idea what are the benefits of dual lye but according to one youtuber Kevin it makes your liquid soap clearer than only potassium hydroxide. I can't see the difference at all, it almost the same clarity.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
I wrote earlier: "...We want to think of liquid soap as acting something like pancake batter -- the thickness changes smoothly and evenly from thick to thin as more liquid is added or as the NaOH % goes up...."

I should have said: "...We want to think of liquid soap as acting something like pancake batter -- the thickness changes smoothly and evenly from thin to thick as liquid is reduced or as the NaOH % goes up...."

Since I can't change the wording when others quote me, I'm making my correction this way.

I don't have a response about Kevin Devine's thinking about getting more clarity as the NaOH goes up, because I haven't experimented with this idea. I'm skeptical, however. There are a lot of variables in soap making, and some things we think are the cause of a certain effect really aren't.

Last edited:

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has been a while since I tried that, and I do not recall the clarity. Sorry.

biarine

Reaction score
One of my batch a month ago I used dual lye. The clarity and thickness were the same as my only potassium hydroxide batch. I notice that if I thicken with salt solution won't work properly the dual lye, very temperamental isn't easy to thicken the liquid soap. I don't know if just my recipe or not.

biarine

Reaction score
I love the bubbles, I add liquid shea, red turkey and glycerine.

KristaY

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful soap, biarine! How's the lather? Do you notice a slime factor? I made bastile paste last night and I'm diluting today ~ 90% OO, 10% castor. Each time I take the spatula out after stirring, long strings come out, like spinning sugar. Since this is my 1st LS bastile I don't know if that's normal. Hopefully the finished soap doesn't behave that way or it'll be a mess around the sink!

Latest posts