Liquid babassu

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I selected the wrong item in Soapers Choice base oils so received organic babassu instead of the non organic that I have used since at least 1999. It arrived in a liquid form which I attributed to the extreme heat here in the northeast. Several days later in my air conditioned home it is still totally pourable clear pale yellow liquid. I use babassu in every batch and the softest I have ever gotten is very firm. In fact the one I am currently using had to be heated and put into a tub where I chip out for each batch. It is 4% of my formula. Looking for any ideas on whether it will change my final product. Moral of this story: do not order soap ingredients when you are too tired to keep your eyes open. My AC is cranked up that I could hang a side of beef in here and not even a sign of cloudiness.

I also had a similar problem but I use it in many things I make and I notice no difference. I do keep mine in the refrigerator in my soap room where it has hardened up. Im in Florida where it is also very hot. The one I order from New Directions Aromatics is in the same room and NOT in the refrigerator and it is solid. I have zero idea why. However, it has not changed my products.

Are you sure what you got is babassu? I only find one choice for babassu and it is not organic.
https://www.soaperschoice.com/babassubabassu
Now that's a thought. The label ,which is bright green unlike their usual labels, states Refined organic expeller pressed babassu oil. Store 65 to 80 degrees. Right after I posted I put the jug in my oil fridge and it is thicker. I did see organic when I ordered.

I also had a similar problem but I use it in many things I make and I notice no difference. I do keep mine in the refrigerator in my soap room where it has hardened up. Im in Florida where it is also very hot. The one I order from New Directions Aromatics is in the same room and NOT in the refrigerator and it is solid. I have zero idea why. However, it has not changed my products.

I'm also in Florida and everything is kept inside the house with the a/c running 24/7. Some is kept in the fridge out in the garage. The last of my babassu from SC is in the laundry room and the temp is 79 degrees. It is solid. When I want to use it I take it outside and put it on a table by the pool. It's clear and watery in about 15 minutes.

Odd, my babassu from SC is rock hard in my soaping room - like I had to cut the top off the bottle and I always have to chip it out almost like cocoa butter. It has never once gone into a liquid state or anywhere close to it!!
I'm in south Georgia and the central AC stays around 76 degrees.

Yes, my Soapers Choice babassu is also solid in my kitchen (where I do my soapmaking), and in the summer my house is usually around 76° F. But once I melt it in a sinkful of hot tap water (we keep our water heater pretty hot), it does take at least a day before it re-solidifies. I believe that's because the bottle is still pretty full and it retains warmth. My guess is that as the volume of the contents diminishes, it will re-solidify faster. In fact, I was thinking I might break it down into smaller portions the next time I melt it so that I don't have to melt the large bottle every single time I want to make deodorant (that's all I've use it for so far.)

Yes, my Soapers Choice babassu is also solid in my kitchen (where I do my soapmaking), and in the summer my house is usually around 76° F. But once I melt it in a sinkful of hot tap water (we keep our water heater pretty hot), it does take at least a day before it re-solidifies. I believe that's because the bottle is still pretty full and it retains warmth. My guess is that as the volume of the contents diminishes, it will re-solidify faster. In fact, I was thinking I might break it down into smaller portions the next time I melt it so that I don't have to melt the large bottle every single time I want to make deodorant (that's all I've use it for so far.)

This exactly hat finally happened. I finally put it on a shelf in by cool basement and just got around to checking. It is solid and white in color. Not sure how long it really took.

I order babassu from a supplier her in OR and it always has been in a liquid state all summer till the temps here at night have been dropping and is now in a solid form now. I personally store mine in a cabinet under my counter.

Back