lipgloss ingredients?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honor435

Reaction score
anyone want to share what they like to use? not a real hard balm, a softer blend. castor, co, beeswax?

I don't like drag with mine; I like it more like a lip gloss feel. Here's the recipe I'm currently using but may end up tweeking. On application, it feels like a lip gloss but is absorbed easily so it doesn't leave a shine for very long and I would like the shine to remain longer (maybe more castor? but I don't want to soften it anymore) but it really feels good on the lips.

.25 oz beeswax
.50 oz shea butter
.25 oz almond oil
.15 oz castor oil
.05 oz jojoba
.05 oz avocado
1 Vitamin E capsul
20 drops spearmint EO

ok, i tried a couple of recipes, but they are more lip balmy, i want more gloss also. I will try again, i dont have av or joj.

Try Candelillia wax (about 17%) and you'll get tons of gloss.. add a little bit of castor and you'll be glossed to the max.

Shoot! I just placed an order yesterday.....Candelillia wax will have to go on my wish list for next time.

me too, but I did make one last night with hemp. castor, almond small amt of beeswax,that isnt too bad.

honey
where do you get that? the only place I saw was oils by nature. Isnt it similiar to beeswax?

I have a formula for an un-petroleum jelly which might work. Unfortunately I cannot find my copy, and it's posted on the NEW DIRECTIONS forum which is temporarily offline.

If anyone here copied it from there....

(I know it's castor oil, plus a wax - maybe candelilla).

When I get back on I'll retrieve it.

ok, i made one with more castor, almond, almond butter, vit e, its kinda nice, more glossy. I used lemon lb cake flavor(elements) but I dont taste it, just smell, I used about 5-7 drops for 3 small tins, maybe more?

Honor, did you use a sweetener? Flavors are more "fragrance" without the sweet.

carebear said:

is there a "lip balm sweetener" or do you mean like sweet & low?

carebear said:

Yeah, I ordered some thinking they would have a taste. They are "flavor" oils...but nope...just fragrances. I guess you can add a sweetener.

The smell is supposed to trick you into tasting? Not sure.

So you can use "flaver oils" as regular fragrance oils?

I use a base for mine...so I am of no help...lol ..but I did buy balm sweetener.. I use very little of that...I guess it tricks the mind... :)

I've tried making lip gloss for myself to look like the lava lamp lol but it didn't turn out good. I need to look for that recipe again.

flavor oil, i thought flavor meant flavor! I will get a sweetener, or can I use stevia?

I used WSP's "super sweet," which was supposed to trick the mind into tasting...

All I get is a sugary taste. I used their "Natural Honeydew Melon" flavor oil, which, I might add, smells disgusting. It's not at all natural smelling- kind of sharp, and overly sweet.

honor435 said:
flavor oil, i thought flavor meant flavor! I will get a sweetener, or can I use stevia?

You can use stevia. I make my own lip balm sweetener using finely powdered stevia mixed in with some castor oil. Just a little bit of this mixture goes a long way. If you don't want to make your own, I believe Southern Soapers sells a stevia sweetener made from powdered stevia and coconut oil.

I also have Sugar Kisses sweetener from MMS, which does the job, but I actually like my stevia/castor mix better.

If you want some really good flavor oils, MMS has some great ones. I have these from them:

-Honey (very realistic and strong)
-Cucumber Melon (very realistic and refreshing)
-Black Cherry (just like Chapstick's cherry flavor)
-Grape (just like grape soda or KoolAid)
-Root Beer (A&W all the way)
-Lime (very realistic and strong)
-Mango (fruity torpical flavor)
-Vanilla Banilla (a strong fruity vanilla)
-Coconut (unlike all of the above, this one is very light on its own, but its great when mixed with lime to get a wonderful lime/coconut flavor)

IrishLass :)

those look like awesome flavors!
Ok, I did one last week that was, castor, almond butter, hemp, beeswax, vit E, I had a teen test it, she liked it! I did get some sweetener from ebay, oh my I tasted it, very sweet, so I had honey flavor oil and added a few drops of sweetener, I think its going to be good.
Carebear, wheres that recipe?

Back