Lip/Soap Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachgurl

Reaction score
Okay, I've been sifting through the pages of the FDA's handbook (almost as fun as reading through my finance homework or doing a tax return ... leave it to the government to provide their audience with bland reading) and I just want to ensure that I'm understanding correctly. I plan on making a lip balm for the craft show. This is considered a cosmetic and since my package size is less than 12 square inches, my ingredient list font can be no smaller than 1/32nd of an inch and has to include inci names in descending order. I just want to make sure because it's confusing at times and I don't want to let potential customers down or get sued :D :D Just making sure that I'm doing the right thing with this. There's no substitute for the experience and feedback you all can provide. You've been very generous.

Soap is a different beast if I'm understanding correctly. As long as I make no claims other than it will clean your stinky butt, and it's made of fats and alkali, then it is not regulated by the FDA but the Consumer Products Safety Commission. If I say that it's "smoothing" for example, then I am required to list my ingredients and am subject to cosmetic labeling requirements. If I say "heals exema" I just overstepped my bounds and moved from the realm of cosmetic to drug which subjects my product to FDA drug testing (I don't know if I stated that verbatim ... I think I mean drug trials)?? Please let me know if I'm botching the meaning here?? :oops:

That looks perfect to me! You know it only took me about 3 years to figure labeling out :oops: .

Good question about 1/32nd font size. Where did you find that specific info? I don't remember seeing font size in black & white at the FDA website. I know it is there, I just have not looked for it.

The ingredient declaration must be conspicuous so that it is likely to be read at the time of purchase. It may appear on any information panel of the outer con-tainer, i.e., an information panel of the folding carton, box or wrapping if the immediate container is so pack-aged or, if not packaged in an outer container, an information panel of the jar, tube or bottle containing the product. The ingredient declaration may also appear on a tag, tape or card that is firmly affixed to the outer container. The letters must not be less than 1/16 of an inch in height (21 CFR 701.3(b)). If the total package surface available to bear labeling is less than 12 square inches, the letters must not be less than 1/32 of an inch in height (21 CFR 701.3). Off-package ingredient labeling is permitted if the cosmetic is held in tightly compartmented trays or racks, it is not enclosed in a folding carton, and the package surface area is less than 12 square inches (21 CFR 701.3(i)).

Sorry if the parenthetical notionals are don't properly :oops: .. I'm horrible at citations, but that's where I found the information on font size as it pertains to the actual size of the package.

OK, I have read that. It does almost take a lawyer to understand it all doesn't it?

LoL, thanks to the Marine Corps, and their cryptic orders (which I swear they just don't want anyone to understand because then there would be peace and no arguing over order interpretation) I've gotten pretty good at reading this crap.

From your post subject, I thought....... "Is she is making a lip soap"? Ain't licking them enough? :lol: :lol:

Digit

:lol: Having a vision of sitting in the kitchen with the bar of soap in my mouth .. hmmm .. lip soap ... lol.

Latest posts

Back