Lip balms and candelilla wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debs

Reaction score
Good morning...I want to make some lip balms with candelilla wax as I am making them for a vegan friend. In my eagerness to get the order in I didn't read the description of the product correctly and candelilla peeling beads have arrived. The person on the help desk wasn't too sure if using them in a lip balm would work as they use them for exfoliating.....so.....has anyone used them either as exfoliators or in lip balms???? long question and thanks for hanging in there!

Sorry, Never heard of peeling beads. I've used candelilla wax in my lip balms. It's harder than beeswax so I used less. You may want to try to melt them and see what happens. As long as there's no additives with it, it may be okay

Thank you for reply. I've just ordered 1kg of proper candelilla wax in case it doesn't work but yes I will give it a try.
Just out of interest, how much do you reduce the recipe by if the recipe simply says wax, as much as half ?

Thank you for reply. I've just ordered 1kg of proper candelilla wax in case it doesn't work but yes I will give it a try.
Just out of interest, how much do you reduce the recipe by if the recipe simply says wax, as much as half ?

Yes, I have seen advice that leans towards using half of candelilla for replacing beeswax, and that may work for people. But in my personal experience I do find that I need to use a littlebit more than that, or else my balm becomes a wee bit too soft (Depending on the rest of the recipe of course) so I usually end up with 55-58% candelilla wax for the beeswax, instead of 50%.

Thank you both for this thread. While in Texas last month I ordered a small baggie of candelilla wax to try out in the lip balms my granddaughter & I were going to make together. As it turned out, we didn't get around to that project, so I haven't used them yet. But it's good to know your experience with it, MySoapHeart, because I would have just simply winged it. It's so much better to have the benefit of your experience for when I do make more. I made a mini practice batch before the candlelilla wax arrived and really liked them, but they were better for pots due to softness in Texas weather.

I go higher on the candelilla than is generally recommended, too (64% the amount of beeswax I normally use).

IrishLass :)

Thank you all so much ....Really looking forward to the 'proper stuff' arriving now!! I'll have to make some soap or bath salts to keep me occupied whilst I wait lol!

Latest posts

Back