Lip balm with no sunscreen requirements!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if you put vitamin e it puts you into a different category and you can check on the US website for labeling of cosmetics.
No worries. I'm a hobbyist and I'm retired from making stuff for wholesale customers. They pretty much decided on what the labels contained. (See Post #4 - Retriever Soapworks), For personal use or gifting I'm comfortable with how they are labeled.

However, you are correct to be as correct as you believe you should be if you are a registered business. I never was.

https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosmetics-labeling-regulations/cosmetics-labeling-guide#clgl
Identification of Ingredients by Name
  1. The name established by the commissioner as specified in § 701.30.
  2. The name adopted for the ingredient as listed in:
    (a) CTFA Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary
    (b) United States Pharmacopeia
    (c) National Formulary
    (d) Food Chemical Codex
    (e) USAN and the USP Dictionary of Drug Names
  3. The name generally recognized by consumers
  4. The chemical or technical name or description
21 CFR 701.3(c)

Speaking solely for myself, I only sell in the United States so I follow US guidelines. Said guidelines allow me multiple choices and I tend to take a KISS approach. People KNOW what Vitamin E is. People do NOT know what Tocopherol is. People buy my products because they can look at the label and say, "Hey, I know what that ingredient is because, who doesn't know what Olive Oil, Coconut Oil or Cocoa Butter is?"

Latest posts

Back