Lip balm with milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
milk is water bases, most lip balms are anhydrous, so it would precipitate out unless you used an emulsifier, and yes you would also need a preservative. a lip-safe preservative.

Here is the ingredient list for Canus Goat's Milk Lip Balm. I'm guessing they use powdered goat's milk.

Ingredients
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Organic) , Cera Alba (Beeswax) Organic , Soybean (Glycine Soja) Oil (Organic) , Spearmint (Mentha Viridis) Essential Oil , Comfrey Leaf , Calendula (Calendula Officinalis) Flower , St John's Wort (Hypericum Perforatum) , Hemp Seed Oil (Organic) , Goat Milk , Vitamin E , Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract

Last edited:
Here is the ingredient list for Canus Goat's Milk Lip Balm. I'm guessing they use powdered goat's milk.

Ingredients
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Organic) , Cera Alba (Beeswax) Organic , Soybean (Glycine Soja) Oil (Organic) , Spearmint (Mentha Viridis) Essential Oil , Comfrey Leaf , Calendula (Calendula Officinalis) Flower , St John's Wort (Hypericum Perforatum) , Hemp Seed Oil (Organic) , Goat Milk , Vitamin E , Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract

That would just stay gritty.
What they do is what I see more and more often; making bad formulations just to avoid certain ingredients and call their product 'natural'.

Not sure I'd want to ingest comfrey or st john's wort oil, either. What are they adding to the product - and what oil are they infused in?

:roll: Label appeal I guess? You shouldn't even come in contact with direct sunlight after using st. johns wort externally.

Last edited:
And I see two antioxidants -- Vit E and ROE -- but no preservative. By adding a source of protein and sugar to the balm, even if the goat's milk is powdered, I would think a lip-safe preservative would be wise. On top of that, since the goat's milk and hemp oil are listed just above the Vit E and well below the EO, it's obvious they're there in very small percentages. IMO, these ingredients can't be of much benefit except "label appeal".

This product reminds me of the beekeepers I know who try to put honey in their otherwise anhydrous lip balms and lotion bars ... then wonder why the honey oozes out eventually. They might get lucky and not get separation if they put only a few drops of honey per balm ... and if the user never allows the balm to really get warm ... and if the honey droplets are fine and dispersed well ... and if ... and if .... :thumbdown:

So Like the Beekman Boys, Canus and Others...They are lying to the public and getting away with it?

Here is the ingredients for Beekman Boys "Natural Lip Balm" Sunflower Oil*, Beeswax, Coconut Oil*, Shea Butter*, Flavor, Goat Milk Powder, Vitamin E, Rosemary Extract*, Calendula Extract*, Menthol.

Love it when they say 'Flavors' No accountability that way.

So Like the Beekman Boys, Canus and Others...They are lying to the public and getting away with it?

Here is the ingredients for Beekman Boys "Natural Lip Balm" Sunflower Oil*, Beeswax, Coconut Oil*, Shea Butter*, Flavor, Goat Milk Powder, Vitamin E, Rosemary Extract*, Calendula Extract*, Menthol.

Love it when they say 'Flavors' No accountability that way.

This post is over a year old....may not get much of a response. Also, you only have to list flavor oil /essential oil and not the entirety of what you used. That's what I do anyway. Plus, they don't list everything in the flavor oils.

Latest posts

Back