Lip balm top edge...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've also noticed that putting balms in the fridge tends to make them crack from cooling too quickly.

I have always put my lip balms in the refrigerator to harden up before topping and again before capping. I have never had any cracking. I leave them in there long enough to shrink down and firm up before capping, then they get stored in the refrigerator until time to use or give away. Maybe its your recipe?

I have always put my lip balms in the refrigerator to harden up before topping and again before capping. I have never had any cracking. I leave them in there long enough to shrink down and firm up before capping, then they get stored in the refrigerator until time to use or give away. Maybe its your recipe?

maybe so.

I do something along the same lines as Susie, only I stick mine in the freezer (instead of the fridge) right after pouring the tubes 3/4's full. I only keep them in there for about 2 minutes total- just enough time for the balm to shrink down and firm up (only just). Then I take them out, top them off, and stick them in the fridge until totally set up before I cap them. And there in the fridge they stay until somebody wants one.

The only time I had any cracking with this method was the time I decided to try increasing my normal amount of kokum and candelilla wax. Bad idea. lol I ended up re-doing the whole batch via de-tubing the balms and melting it all back down with some extra oil to make it a little softer. Thankfully, it was only 6 balms and it was just for us.

IrishLass :)

I too fill mine about 3/4 full and then into the fridge they go for about 5 minutes. Then I fill the rest of the way, complete with nicely rounded top. Then back into the fridge for another 5 or so. Works perfect especially when I'm making a bunch at a time.

I too fill mine about 3/4 full and then into the fridge they go for about 5 minutes. Then I fill the rest of the way, complete with nicely rounded top. Then back into the fridge for another 5 or so. Works perfect especially when I'm making a bunch at a time.

They don't crack at the join point between the two pours?

Back