Lip balm recipe without wax?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenobiah

Reaction score
My lips get incredibly dry in winter. And beeswax in lip balm just doesn't do anything for me, it just sits on top of my lips and make sure the "good stuff" doesn't go into my lips.

Can you actually make lip balm without it? It seems all recipes I find for lip balm require it...

You could use Soy wax or Candelilla wax instead.

Cocoa butter is BRICK hard too. *Almost* as hard as bees wax. You could play around w/ cocoa butter.

Cocoa butter sounds like a nice alternative. Ok, I will see if I can dig up a recipe from somewhere unless you have one to share.

The basic recipe is 1 part wax , 1 part oil & 1 part soft butter, you just have to adjust untill you get it the consistancy you like. If you plan to use cocoa butter rather than wax you might want to try something more like:

1/2 part oil
1 part cocoa butter
1 part soft butter

It sets up in just a couple of minutes so if it is too hard, remelt & add more oil, too soft remelt & add more cocoa butter. It's like making soup, add a little peper & give it a taste, add a little more & give it a taste untill *you* like it.

I make a lip balm that is pretty awesome,

it does have beeswax in it, but it also has mango butter and honey

this is the recipe as I found it.....

Honey Lip Cream

1 tsp. honey
1 tsp melted beeswax
2 tsp almond oil

Melt honey and beeswax in a double boiler, add almond oil. Put into a jar and shake. Pour into molds or jars and allow cream to set for at least 10 minutes before using.

Oh and I nuked it all to melt it and didn't use a double boiler..... but i made several tubes of lip balm....... And I don't use a lot of lipstick etc, but I like my old fashioned lip balm.......

But the tweaker in me had to change it, and leave it to me not to write what i did down exactly........ I made it once for myself......

But it's really nice and adds moisture to your lips, better than commercial lip balms

But I think used 1 tsp sweet almond oil and 1 tsp mango butter...... Because I remember adding both of those.........

But it's a soft lip balm and not a hard one.

faithy said:

Honey Lip Cream

1 tsp. honey
1 tsp melted beeswax
2 tsp almond oil

Melt honey and beeswax in a double boiler, add almond oil. Put into a jar and shake. Pour into molds or jars and allow cream to set for at least 10 minutes before using.

Oh and I nuked it all to melt it and didn't use a double boiler..... but i made several tubes of lip balm....... And I don't use a lot of lipstick etc, but I like my old fashioned lip balm.......

But the tweaker in me had to change it, and leave it to me not to write what i did down exactly........ I made it once for myself......

But it's really nice and adds moisture to your lips, better than commercial lip balms

But I think used 1 tsp sweet almond oil and 1 tsp mango butter...... Because I remember adding both of those.........

How do you get the honey to emulsify into the mixture?!?! I have made a couple batches of honeyed lip balms and at first I thought they turned out great, then after a few uses I got down to the honey that had just pooled in the bottom of the tin! Yuck! I tried using EWax in my next batch but that seemed to make it too hard and not nearly as soothing because it was so so waxy. just wondering if there is a trick to making it all smooth and 'together' :wink:

Thanks!
kelly

mcleodnaturals said:
faithy said:

Honey Lip Cream

1 tsp. honey
1 tsp melted beeswax
2 tsp almond oil

How do you get the honey to emulsify into the mixture?!?! I have made a couple batches of honeyed lip balms and at first I thought they turned out great, then after a few uses I got down to the honey that had just pooled in the bottom of the tin! Yuck! I tried using EWax in my next batch but that seemed to make it too hard and not nearly as soothing because it was so so waxy. just wondering if there is a trick to making it all smooth and 'together' :wink:

Thanks!
kelly

You might try honey powder?? Just a thought. :)

Back