Lip balm ratio help? (Hi I'm new here)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurenrd

Reaction score
Hi, so I've spent the last few months attempting various ways to make a vegan lip balm...Unfortunately I started out expecting to be able to make a lip balm with soy wax which turned out to be pretty much impossible as the consistency was always off and felt odd/too soft.
I read that some people mix candelilla or carnauba wax with their soy wax to make it a little stiffer. I also invested in some refined shea butter (Not high melt point, regular melt point) so now with the following ingredients I was wondering if any of you could give advice as to how many parts of each ingredient to use:

Candelilla Wax
Soy Wax
Refined Shea Butter
Sweet Almond Oil
Coconut Oil

and room for a liquid flavor additive.

Thank you in advance!

Welcome Lauren! :wave:

One of the lip balms I make uses candelilla wax and it's quite lovely. For what it's worth (in case you ever wonder if the candelilla can be used without any other waxes), no other wax is needed in my formula- the candelilla does a good job at hardening things all by itself (along with the butters in my formula).

I've never used soy wax, but from the info I read over on The Sage blog, soy wax has a slightly higher melting point than beeswax, so based on that, this is what I would try if I had your ingredients to play with:

12.5% soy wax
12.5% candelilla wax
25% Shea butter
25% coconut oil
25% sweet almond oil

As for liquid flavor additives, I love using the lip balm flavor oils from Majestic Mountain Sage. They are top-notch. They also sell a liquid lip balm sweetener that I love called 'Sugar Baby'.

HTH
IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back