Lip Balm Newbie Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laungnome

Reaction score
As stated above I am a complete newb at this. I have been searching the googles to find more information but I'm not quite finding an answer to my questions. I'm finding a million and one recipes, but yeah...

I ordered a lip balm base from Elements http://www.elementsbathandbody.com/ some sweetener, one flavor oil, and mica. I wanted to use actual candy oils to flavor my lip balm because I get more of a selection without paying an arm and a leg for shipping. (I want some funky flavors and they are spread out over numerous suppliers).

So I picked up some of Loranns oils. Here's the thing. I tried 1%, then 2%, and the 3% and I'm still not happy with the potency of the flavors. The closest I got was when I did 15 drops of butternut, 15 drops of Butterscotch, and two pinches of stevia to 1 TSP of base. Then I started getting some real flavor. However, I wanted to do a peanut butter apple. When I do that I have to add 20 drops of Apple and 15 drops of Peanut Butter. By the time I taste the Apple its too potent and tastes very chemical.

I guess what I am trying to ask is will I be able to achieve Lip Smacker brand potency? My favorite lip balm was a Twinkie flavored one and I could swear it tasted like the real thing! I might add that my lip balms have a very strong (good) smell but once its on the lips it kind of goes away. Kind of a waxy flavor. I know that you aren't truly tasting anything, you are tricked by your nose. Is this how it has to be with handmade lip balms? Awesome scent but doesn't have that real taste punch I remember.

I did try Elements flavor oil but it tasted like chocolate playdough. Although even the big lip gloss brands can't seem to get chocolate right.

Any suggestions or are my memories of lip smackers like everything else I thought was awesome as a child but realize aren't that great now.

Thank you for any and all help on the subject. Again, I have actually been trying to do research on my own, but I figured I would ask people that have experience with making it at home. I'm used to trial and error but in this case my wallet can't handle too many trials :)

Sadly not all the lorann flavorings will work. You are limited to the ones that just have oil on the Ingrediant list. If they have water or glycerin in them they are not compatible with lip balm.

May I ask ... how did you like the texture and
qualities of Elements lip balm base?

I am also new at it, but gave a simple recipe
a try that only included beeswax, castor oil,
and avocado butter ... it came out nice, but
I'm still curious about the premade base,
if you have a moment and don't mind me
asking! :wink:

Kathy

Are EOs any better? I've made a few lip balms using lemon EO but am ordering the tube rack and tubes from Elements instead of the 2 ounce tins I did at Christmas.

Latest posts

Back