Lip Balm naming

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
Doing a show this summer (fingers crossed) and I'm thinking and planning ahead. I am looking for some suggestions/experiences on how to name lip balms in a way that makes sense to the consumer. I plan to have 4 categories:

Flavored with flavor oils
Flavored with EOs
Flavored with the natural scents of the oils (beeswax, cocoa butter, virgin coconut)
Neutral - using deodorized cocoa butter, white beeswax, etc.

So my tentative plan:
Flavored lip balms named the flavor they are (example: Mint Chocolate)
EO lip balms labeled "Natural Lavender", "Natural Mint" and have a little "with Lavender Essential Oil" underneath the name.
Where I am stumped is on the ones relying on the scents of the oils and the "scentless" ones.

You could put Unscented, Or just label it Plain "Lip Balm" with the word Unscented below it

That is a tough one. Most people don't realize the oils/butters have a scent of their own so calling them unscented might be confusing. Maybe list it as "no added scent"?

I thought about "Natural Cocoa Butter Scent" but that is rather long for a name. And I don't want to call the unscented ones unscented b/c it's not exactly try - to my nose, even deodorized cocoa butter has a scent. So I feel calling it "unscented" is not correct? And "deodorized" isn't appealing.

Some essential oils are obtained by chemical/solvent extraction so can they all be called "natural"?

I would have thought "naturally scented" applied more to the unscented cocoa butter etc. I like the idea of that anyway.

Last edited:
I like Naked! Maybe "Naked - Cocoa Butter " and "Naked - Coconut Oil".

I'm trying to get a lipbalm recipe I like that has a natural coconut scent from virgin coconut oil. So far the best one is 15% beeswax, 15% cocoa butter and 70% coconut. Texture wise I don't like it as much as I like my regular recipe. It's more greasy and less creamy. But it does have a faint scent of coconut. This one is with regular cocoa butter, so it's coconut chocolate. I'm going to try the same recipe with deodorized cocoa butter. It's a bit too firm for winter, but I think it will be fine for summer.

I'm with Shunt! If i don't add color/flavor/scent to soap or B&B... it's naked!

Every time I write that word, I think back to when my oldest daughter was a toddler and paddling around in a towel after a bath. We had company over, and I was unsuccessfully trying to herd her back into her room for pajamas. She saw them and stopped in mid-toddler gallop. Then she dramatically whipped off the towel and screamed "I'M NAKED" before running off into her room. Her personality hasn't changed a bit even though she is 22 now. Thankfully, I don't think she runs about flashing people. At least, I hope not. :think:

Back