Lip balm issues-Passionfruit Rose

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navaria

Reaction score
Is there a trick to making lip balm with passion fruit rose or pink champagne sparkles mica? Or the two together? They don't seem to like each other very much. I could not get them to mix for anything. And when I finally thought I had it, they separated in the tube. Below is a pic of what I mean. The one on the right is a different flavor/color that I made at the same time from the same master batch so I doubt it's a base issue. Any suggestions?

20160416_160210.jpg

Before I try to answer, I just want to make sure I'm understanding your question correctly..... Are you asking how to keep sparkly mica colorant suspended in your balms that are flavored with Passionfruit Rose and/or Pink Champagne flavor oil?

IrishLass :)

Pretty much lol. The mica is lip safe and had good reviews but I tried 3 times to get it to suspend and it keeps separating out and sinking. I did however make some uncolored with the passion fruit rose and had no problems. So it's definitely the mica.

ETA: The mica is called pink champagne sparkles. I was trying to use it with pfr flavor oil

Have you used that mica in lip balm before? I haven't used that particular mica or Passionfruit Rose (is it nice?). When I add mica, the lip balm is very liquid. I use a chopstick to mix it in. It seems to want to be in blobs on the bottom of the measuring cup, so I tilt the cup from side to side so I can see any lumps on the bottom and use my chopstick to swizzle in in. When pour, if it starts to thicken at all, I zap it in the microwave for 10 seconds or so. I stir it thoroughly between every 2-3 balms.

I've never added sparkly mica to my balms before, but I have heard of 2 different tricks that have worked for others to help keep their mica suspended in their balms:

1) Place your empty lip balm tubes in the freezer so that they are good and cold before you pour your balm, then put the filled tubes right back into the freezer just after you pour, then take them out a few minutes later when the balm is set.

2) (This one is a little more tricky) Stir the mica into your melted balm, then continue to stir as the balm cools and thickens some. The trick is pouring when the balm is thick but still pourable.

Speaking only for myself and the way I make my balms, #1 looks like the better of the 2 options.

I haven't used that particular mica or Passionfruit Rose (is it nice)?

I can't speak for Navaria, but it's one of my favorite flavor oils. Plus, it's strong and long-lasting.

IrishLass :)

No I haven't used either one before. I'm not sure on the pfr yet. I used 1% in my balm and I think it may be too much. Granted, they were just made a few hours ago so they may mellow some. It smells good but if I lick my lips it tingles my tongue a bit.
I put the mica in a container, measured out my flavor and sweetener and then added my liquid balm. I started out stirring it with the pipette but when I saw that wasn't going to mix them I switched to a plastic spoon and beat the tar out of it. I even let it thicken up and mixed it some more to try to get it to suspend. When I warmed it again to pour it is what you see in the picture. It separated back out. I ended up doing a very small batch (2 pots) to see exactly what happens and if it was a fluke and all the mica settled to the bottom in what looks like oil beads and the balm hardened above it. Clear as if I hadn't added a thing to it. I'll try tomorrow using a different mica and see what happens with that.

We were typing at the same time Irish! I may try the first method. I attempted the second but couldn't catch that golden window of suspended but pourable. The thing is, I made 2 different colors right before this problem child and they turned out great. The pink champagne sparkle is so pretty, I sure hope I can make it work.

Back