Lip Balm Ingredients

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I make a peppermint lip balm which works and sells good during winter and cooler weather, but In hot Michigan weather it tends to get too soft. It has coconut oil in and am thinking that is the problem. It is there another oil that would stay firmer at warmer temperatures?

I live in Michigan and have no problem with my balms as long as they aren't in direct sun as I prefer a softer balm not a hard. I use Beeswax, CO, and some other soft oils. You could just add a bit more beeswax or add come cocoa butter or mango. Just test it before pouring a bunch of them to see if you like the texture.

I love using Candelilla wax in my lip balm. It can get pretty hard depending on how much you use, but absorbs a bit more into the skin than beeswax.

I use beeswax in mine. I tried soy wax, but was seriously underwhelmed by the resulting balm. You are going to have to mix some together, let them cool and harden, then test before pouring a whole bunch. It is much easier to handle changing the recipe if it is still in the measuring cup. I would start with 1 part wax to 3 parts other oils, then adjust from there.

If you buy from soap and toiletry websites, many of them will specify 76 or 92 degree coconut oil. I know Columbus Foods has it. When I google "92 degree coconut oil" I get plenty of vendors.

Latest posts

Back