Lip Balm Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeiou_-

Reaction score
I had some beeswax pastilles laying around that I wanted to put to good use. I know a lot of people use the hard butters for balms but I figured I'd mess around with what I already had on hand.

Ingredients:
1 oz. beeswax pastilles
1 oz. olive oil
2 oz. coconut oil
I used enough Peppermint EO until fragrant.

My intentions were to make a lip balm for a tin. I feel that it works well when applied but it's definitely more of a thick paste. I have a feeling I used too much Olive Oil. I'll probably just have to invest in shea/cocoa butter. But if anyone has managed a firm lip balm using just those three ingredients, I'd appreciate the help.

Olive oil is not my favorite in lip balms. I much prefer sweet almond or avocado oil for my liquid oil. But given your recipe below, I would probably reduce the coconut by 1oz. Then you would have equal ratios of each ingredient and can see what needs to be adjusted. I recently made a batch with equal parts beeswax, cocoa butter & sweet almond oil. It turned out plenty firm and now I wish I had added a bit more sweet almond.

Yeah, I agree with Shari -- about 2 parts liquid oils (and I include coconut as a liquid oil) and 1 part beeswax. I don't use a butter, and this general proportion works plenty fine here in Iowa. Tweak the beeswax down a couple percent for softer and up a couple percent for firmer.

My favorite recipe is 31.5% beeswax, 1% essential oils, and the balance liquid oils. I use equal parts calendula infused sunflower oil and jojoba.

The 3 parts liquid oils and 1 part beeswax recipe is going to be fairly soft, and probably won't pass the "pocket test." Even with it in a tin, I'd want the balm to stay reasonably firm.

If you want to use these oils its ok but you have to lower coconut in my opinion...

My favorite recipe is 1 part beeswax, 1 part butters (cocoa or shea) and 1 part liquid oil (almond oil or jojoba).

its really firm and hard.

I tried one like yours and ended up with a soft cream for lips... I didnt like it but there are folks who like it :)

I think in a hot climate, a harder balm works fine. In Iowa (center part of the US), I prefer a softer recipe for use in the cooler months of the year. I want the balm to go on the lips smoothly and to not be waxy or dry feeling on the skin. But it also has to be firm enough pass the pocket test -- it should not melt in your jeans pocket.

I've been using 1:1:1 butter/oil/wax in lotion bars for a few months, but I find the result a bit too heavy. How do I lighten the feel on the lips?

BTW, I've been using up some of BB's Beard Oil base (since I cut my long beard) by putting it into lotion bars. It's Fractionated Coconut Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Argan Oil, Jojoba Oil, Aloe Extract, Vitamin E, and works GREAT and is relatively economical.

One way to lighten it up is to use less butter and more liquid oil -- or replace the butter entirely with liquid oil. Or use a butter or other solid fat that is softer at room temp and/or has a lower melt point than the one you're using (use shea or lard vs cocoa butter or tallow, for example).

Your choice of oil can affect the feel -- look for a lighter, dryer feeling oil to make the skin feel a bit lighter. For example, meadowfoam has a low viscosity and absorbs into the skin fast. Olive, sunflower, or castor will be more viscous and not as absorbent.

Latest posts

Back