Lip Balm Fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllieMae

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone with some lip balm experience can help me out. I've recently made 4 batches of lip balm (only about 8-10 tubes each, keeping it small batch while I work out which recipe I like the best) and I'm having a huge issue getting any scent to "stick".

So far I've tried grapefruit EO, lavender EO and peppermint EO. Based on my batch size, everything I've read says 5-10 drops of EO, no more, so I've been putting 10 drops in per batch. The lavender comes through decently (though I honestly expected stronger) and the other two smell totally unscented now that it's all set. The EOs I've been using are all the same brand so I would *assume* they have the same potency...all these scents also hold up just find in CP soaps.

I've now found the recipe I think is IDEAL...but I'd like to be able to scent it without adding a ton more EO than is recommended. Any ideas?

Check the allowed usage rate. You don't say how much weight wise you are making. I make a lot of lip balm but measure my flavor/EO's by weight in grams. Most you can use 1-3%. I rarely ever go over 3%.

Another lip balm tip that we use is to chill a spoon in the freezer. You can dip it into the lip balm and test it for texture, flavor, etc. We have found that different EO's require different amounts but we don't go over safe amount. We also weigh ours out in grams.

The bottles of EO that I have don't have allowable usage rate listed on them so I've been using the general rule of 1-2 drops per 0.5oz (or 1 tbsp). My recipes generally make ~10 oz (or 5 tbsp) which is how I got the 5-10 drops guideline.

I've been doing the chilled spoon for texture but didn't think to do the same test for scent (I was pretty nervous about exceeding this "5-10 drops" rule). I will try that next time and hope I don't have to exceed by too much to get a scent working.

I've never heard the general usage recommendation of 1-2 drops. You're not using nearly enough.

Here's something I found that I used to use before I started measuring in grams and percentage. And of course it will vary by what EO you use and the allowable usage rate recommendation.

For 2 oz of balm:
12 drops = 1%
24 drops = 2%
36 drops = 3%

Thanks everyone!

I'm assuming using that much EO will alter the final texture in the recipe I've worked out - so I guess that means more playing around for me! :D

Latest posts

Back