LIp balm for my daughter, madder root/beet?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm planning to make a red tinted lip balm for my daughter, and what I have is a madder root dye powder (from a trusted source I know), and beet root juice (saw a video)

1. Is madder root safe for lip balm/application?
2. Beet root juice, that would necessitate preservatives, right? Which I don't want to get. The video I watched didn't use any preservatives.

I have vit E oil capsule from a friend. Any thoughts? I don't have micas or other colorant and don't want to get them at this time. Thanks!

I've seen several recipes for madder root in lip balms/tints and even blush so I'm assuming it's safe... Ratanjot is another. How old is your daughter? I'd try some on myself first if it was me...

The only way I know around using a preservative is to make a tiny batch and/or keep it in the fridge. That way it could finish up before the bad stuff sets in, and when it does you can discard a small amount instead of wasting a lot.

Can you find beet root powder? It makes a very pretty red. I wouldn't use juice in a balm, if you do then you absolutely need preservative.

What ever you do PLEASE check to make sure that it is SAFE for Lips and safe for the Age of your DD.
Not here, not saying any one is wrong, but we do not know what you have and where you got it.
Please just make sure that it is safe.

I also would be careful about things turning 'nasty' once in a balm. Since it is on the Lips it can be consumed. You didn't say how old she was

Why not just give her a plain, no scent/flavor/color. If she is little she can 'pretend' if she wants :)

I also would be very careful with madder. I read somewhere it contains a possible carcinogenic (I emailed the supplier and they confirmed madder always contains this possibly carcinogenic substance). I think it's probably safe in soap as you rinse it off quickly, but would be really careful about putting it in something that might end up getting eaten.
I've never made lip balm so I'm definitely not an expert [emoji14], but I think most lipsticks are colored with coccinelle (red lice). It's a personal choice if you want to use it or not.. it's natural (and I'm assuming it's safe, since it's also used in candies) but quite a few people don't like the idea of squashed lice in their lipstick/balm.

Beet root powder is safe for the lips. Many micas are safe for the lips. I believe many clays are safe for the lips, but you should double check on any specific ones you may have.

If you want to only use natural, you can dry any fruit or vegetable, powder it and use that. Dried strawberries are reddish pink. Women have been using natural colors from fruits as lip color for centuries.

Here are a couple of links with more ideas on lip balm colorants & flavors:
https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/orange-sunburst-lip-tint-diy/
https://simplelifemom.com/2017/11/12/natural-lip-balm-colors-and-scents/
I've been saving this one to try myself:
https://thefamilyfreezer.com/2014/03/12/homemade-naturally-tinted-lip-balm/

Other lip balm I've made was orange flavored and I loved it. So don't forget the flavors, especially for the young girls.

Back