Lip Balm flavoring questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missbipbip

Reaction score
I have been making soap for a while, but lip balms....I have gotten very frustrated trying to make them, so I usually just do something else, and come back to them later. At this point, I am very frustrated. Maybe someone here can help? The main problem is that when I use the recommended amount from the manufacturer, there is hardly any flavor at all in the balms when I am done. Right now, I am using flavorings from WSP that are sweetened. I thought it would be easier to buy them sweetened. Most of them have a 3% usage rate. Using their chart, if I am making a 2oz recipe, I need to use 1.8mL of the flavoring (I have been making about 2 oz batches for testing.) This amount (1.8 mL) has not worked for any flavoring I have tried from them so far. I have used Cotton Candy, Life's a Peach, Cherry, and Peppermint. All of them have had the sweetener and I am finding that I need more like 5-8mLs?

I have wondered if it has anything to do with flash point. The flash point on most of the flavor oils is 125....the Cotton Candy is 104. I cannot get my oils to these temperatures without them solidifying, so pouring them into the tubes would be impossible.

What am I doing wrong? Thank you for any suggestions you can give.

The only thing I can suggest is to read the reviews for the flavorings before purchasing. That should give you an idea of how they will work in a product.

Back