Lip balm flavor question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarvan

Reaction score
I have a few questions as I foray into lip concoctions.

I found this recipe on FromNatureWithLove website:

.8 oz. Coconut or virgin coconut oil
.8 oz. Avocado Oil
.8 oz. Beeswax
.4 oz. Mango Butter
20 drops flavor oil

I have seen some recipes call for flavor oils and some that just say to use a couple drops of essential oil.

If I don't have any flavor oils, what other subtitute can I use? If I were to use this recipe, could I sub a couple drops of my essential oil that I would normally use for soaping and a bit of honey? I saw on one recipe that they used chocolate chips for flavor.

I don't want to do anything until I hear some sage advice.

If I can use EO and honey, how do I figure out how much would work with this size batch?

Finally, for some lip balm recipes they indicate that you can use grapeseed oil. I have used grapeseed oil in my soaps, but ran out and wonder if the stuff from the grocery store is acceptable?

I want to make some of this to try for a few days before I batch some up for baby shower gift bags.

Thanks in advance!

Some EOs are lip safe. I would check with your suppliers to be sure of which ones.

You can also use candy or sucker flavors which you should be able to find at local craft stores & even Walmart. Loran flavors come to mind. Some are water based though & some are oil based so be careful which ones you grab off the shelf.

I have never used honey, but I have used liquid sweet & low from the grocery store.

So Tabitha, which candy/sucker flavoring is best ? Oil or water based? I think oil because I can't see a water based one mixing in with the oils. Hope I'm right...on the way to Wally or Hobby Lobby right now.

I'm not Tabitha, but since your lip balm formula is oils you will need an oil based flavorant. (not water or alcohol or glycerin based).

This is kind of a late post, and I don't know if it matters in your particular case, but flavor oils (like those sold for lip balms) are actually not flavored. The taste is neutral, but you have the wonderful scent. If you sweeten your balm, however, your taste buds will be convinced they can taste the aroma. This is great if you love the "flavor" of your balm, but this also causes most people to lick their lips more often - which is drying- and counter to the reason most people wear balm. For this reason, I stay away from those delicious candy oils!

Back