Lip balm consistency like BOdyshop or Carmex's tin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbiz

Reaction score
Hi all! I been making lip balms for a few months and tried many recipes. However, I can never reach the consistency like Carmex or Bodyshop tin. My lip balm consistency is much harder and not sticky and gelling anywhere like those big brand's. Its like a layer of frozen fat (sorry, my English is bad so I cant describe clearly)
My current recipe is:
15%BW
25%Cocoa Butter
15% Coconut Oil (76)
25% Sweet Almond OIl
10% Grapeseed oil
10% Castor OIl

Is it because I dont have Lanolin in my recipe, or should I reduce more BW? Is there anyway to make my lip balm have the same consistency like those big brands?

Key Ingredients
Menthol; camphor; phenol; lanolin; cocoa butter; salicylic acid; vitamin e; Shea butter; Petroleum jelly.

Could it be the petrolium jelly you are missing. That is what is slick and 'fat' like.

Well, I do think so too. However, after taking a look at this lip balm maker (Sorry I forgot to post the link: http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/lipbutter.htm) , I see they use no petrolatum products but still produce a slick and sticky consistency alike.
In Carmex (for cold sores) pot, their ingredients only include Frangance in Petrolatum, Lanolin, COcoa Butter, Salicylic Acid and Wax Base (so no Petro Jelly?).

Well, I tried to lower my BW to only 10% while CO and cocoa butter is 20% each. My lip balm pot is too soft, I can easily scoop out with a finger and certainly the consistency is no way alike Carmex. WHen I scoop out my lip balm pot, the piece is look like animal fat and definitely not sticky like Carmex. Anyone help meeeeeeeee?

I have read an article somewhere on line and it said that only putting petrolatum products can create such consistency. Homemade 100% natural lip balm can not make such creamy and sticky lip balm.
HOWEVER, what I saw on the http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/lipbutter.htm told me that they can still produce such consistency.

Anyone, please help meeeee.

I got similar slickness as mineral oil with castor oil in my lip balm.
I found my recipe at gracefruit.com

Zenobiah said:
I got similar slickness as mineral oil with castor oil in my lip balm.
I found my recipe at gracefruit.com
Well I also use CAstor oil in my recipe (10%) but cant achieve what I wanted.

Or maybe hardness is an attribute of natural lip balm and consumers will happily accept it?

Thanks. But it is the basic lip balm recipe and its consistency is for tube, quite hard for pot. :?
I am thinking of increasing percentage of butter much higher. Any other ideas?

Thanks Lindy. I tried to raise Cocoa butter ratio to 35% so the total butter/hard oil ratio is ~50%. It produced a much softer but solid enough for a lip balm tin. However I cant get creamy and sticky texture like Carmex, now I think it requires jelly.

Latest posts

Back