Lip balm and flavour oils / essence

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimT2au

You bet they die
Reaction score
In Australia lip safe flavour oils are not as plentiful nor as cheap as they appear to be in other countries so I was wondering if I could use these oils (link below). They are for chocolate and icing and described as an essence but I guess that is similar to a flavour oil or am I wrong? Also I don't understand if something is food safe and therefore safe to go into your body, why is it not automatically safe to put on your lips?

Sorry if my questions seem somewhat naive.

Kim

https://www.carolines.com.au/retail/colours-essences-pastels-pens/essences.html

"Also I don't understand if something is food safe and therefore safe to go into your body, why is it not automatically safe to put on your lips?"

Depending on what the item is, it might be safe to go on your lips, but it just might not be compatible with lip balm. For example, vanilla extract. It is safe to go on your lips, but it won't blend/emulsify with a lip balm, it will separate out.

ETA: One exception to this may be phototoxicity. Some essential oils (especially citrus ones) can react with sunlight and make it more likely for you to get a sunburn. As I understand it, steam distilled citrus EOs are safer because the heat destroys the compound that causes it. So a cold-pressed lime essential oil might not be the best thing to put on your lips, but would probably be safe in some limeade.

they are oil based so I think they will work for you. Good luck!

Back