Linseed oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guspuppy

Reaction score
I bought a tin can of linseed oil to use on a walking stick I made last fall. I had to buy a quart can and only used a few ounces. Is this the same linseed (flax seed) oil that is in soapcalc? Can I use it in soap? That seems weird to me, I guess because I am used to thinking of soaping oils as 'food' oils and linseed has never been a food to me. Anyway I see the linolenic # is 50 in soapcalc. Does that mean it would go rancid quickly in my soap/make DOS? Has anyone else actually soaped with linseed oil and is there any compelling reason to do so? I'm curious about it now!

If your can of linseed is stuff from a woodworking or hardware store, this kind of linseed will sometimes contain metallic drying agents to accelerate the oxidation of the oil and sometimes other ingredients such as resins. If so, you probably don't want it in your soap. It is probably not hugely toxic, but it's certainly not a product meant for skin use.

I used to ride horses and think of linseed oil as something you use to condition saddles and bridles. If it can soften leather, must be great for skin, right?

Back