Links for extracting clay and clarifying used oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardbond

Reaction score
Here is a quick tutorial about clay and how to extract it from "mud"
Processing Clay the Easy Way - Practical Primitive. http://www.practicalprimitive.com/skillofthemonth/processingclay.html

I also sterilized by boiling it after, as I was putting it in soap... You strain out the layers and collect the finest silt & clay layers after it settles.then let it dry out to a powder.
Alternatively to steralize, add it to the lye mixture rather than at trace.

This book also outlines multiple methods for "clarification" of used oils using alum salt or sodium salt and acid (vinegar, lemon, citric) to treat the oil then precipitate the solids
Merilyn Mohr The Art of Soap Making

59aa28f16c3b9f2dc2f091e339978fd6f1621ad6.jpg

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/092065603X/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Another method more expensive is using Fuller's earth.
<br /><br />

I bought some potassium permaganate from my Walmart pharmacy... It is a powerful antioxidant. That is used in fish tanks and around the world to stertilize raw vegetables to eat. To "purify" the canola oil

Living for my half and half (get it?) The carton was great. The soap fits in your hand..
IMG_1518126085862.jpg
<br /><br />Ward

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that book, but don't recall even noticing the reclamation/clarification of cooking oils section. I know it is a fairly accepted practice, though for making soap.

I never gave clay making a lot of thought other than when watching demonstrations of making clay bricks for buildings. I've been to a couple of those over the years, but not participated. The kids sure seemed to enjoy it, though.

But what a great idea for using your local resources.

We have done some local clay extractions here (it is fun and interesting).

What a great idea to sterilize them for use in soap, and for oil cleaning, thanks Wardbond!

Edited to clarify: The oxidizer is water soluable and is used (in very dilute solution) in some water treatments (it has antibacterial and antifungal properties). Unfortunately it is not at all suitable for adding to oil, and I would strongly suggest that you don't add it to oil.

Last edited:
Edited to clarify: The oxidizer is water soluable and is used (in very dilute solution) in some water treatments (it has antibacterial and antifungal properties). Unfortunately it is not at all suitable for adding to oil, and I would strongly suggest that you don't add it to oil.

Wow- no kidding! Out of curiosity (because I'd never heard of potassium permanganate before), I looked it up and came across a video of 3 different ways to start a spontaneous explosive fire without matches just by using potassium permanganate and 1 other ingredient:

1) By pouring a little vegetable glycerin over the top of some potassium permanganate
2) By mixing table sugar with potassium permanganate
3) By pouring brake fluid over some potassium permanganate

All 3 spontaneously combusted into a violent blaze of fire in less than 10 seconds. Pretty fascinating.....and scary.

IrishLass :)

Wow- no kidding!

It used to be called Condy's Crystals, and back in the 50s, or thereabouts, it was used to dye hair brown (it turns brown in reaction to organic materials).

Brilliant treatment for fungal infections - a single crystal will be enough to colour a whole bath pink (purple means it's too strong).

It's vicious enough to permanently stain enamel ... and yeah. Not something to be mixing with anything.

Wow- no kidding! Out of curiosity (because I'd never heard of potassium permanganate before), I looked it up and came across a video of 3 different ways to start a spontaneous explosive fire without matches just by using potassium permanganate and 1 other ingredient:

1) By pouring a little vegetable glycerin over the top of some potassium permanganate
2) By mixing table sugar with potassium permanganate
3) By pouring brake fluid over some potassium permanganate

All 3 spontaneously combusted into a violent blaze of fire in less than 10 seconds. Pretty fascinating.....and scary.

IrishLass :)
Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills

https://books.google.ca/books?id=83...of soap making potassium permanganate&f=false

Outlines the process as well as in the Harrowsmith Art of soapmaking book

I prefer to read for content and not react to strongly to surface information...

Many of the ingredients and by-product s of soap making are dangerous

For instance. Google glycerine explosives..of you really want to watch something dangerous.

It is about education....

I mean look how dangerous sodium hydroxide is......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back