Lining slab mold question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rparrny

Reaction score
My new slab mold came today...Woo Hoo! I don't have any freezer paper in the house and I'm itchin to break it in. I've read you can use plastic...can I use a cut up plastic garbage bag? Any words of wisdom here?

I have never seen freezer paper in any local store, I ended up buying mine on Amazon.
I have used parchment paper and Saran Wrap with good success if you don't mind a few wrinkles, and I have heard that garbage bags work as well in a pinch.

If you got the slab mold with dividers, be careful about the freezer paper. I kept ripping my paper with them until I gave up and got a silicone liner.

I have never seen freezer paper in any local store, I ended up buying mine on Amazon.
I have used parchment paper and Saran Wrap with good success if you don't mind a few wrinkles, and I have heard that garbage bags work as well in a pinch.
Parchment paper...really? I would think it would seep through or stick. I have a TON of parchment paper in the house as I love to bake.
Gonna try it this morning.
Thanks!

If you got the slab mold with dividers, be careful about the freezer paper. I kept ripping my paper with them until I gave up and got a silicone liner.
I do have dividers and want to use them (gulp).:sick:
I bought this mold off ebay and I think it might be hand made so I doubt there is a ready made silicone mold for it...
Now I really worried about using the parchment paper...

You can grease up the dividers with petroleum jelly. That should held them release the soap. You can also put your mold in the freezer for an hour or two and then take it out and let set for 5-10 min. This should held the release of the soap.

from what I understand parchment paper is the same as what we call baking paper her in Australia. I have used it many times and it doesn't leak through or anything and comes off clean

I have used plastic grocery bags to line - just make sure that any lettering on the bag is on the opposite side of the soap - your soap will absorb the ink. My first tray batch was pre-labeled for Walgreen's, lol. I also used thin pieces of tape to hold the liner tighter inside the mold to minimize the wrinkles. Still had them, but not as bad. Make sure your corners are square too. Some of mine weren't (I thought the weight of the soap would push the liner in - it didn't).

I use parchment paper for the time being, just because I have about 5 rolls of it. It does wrinkle, but if you have a planer you can just shave those wrinkles off. (I don't have a planer.) I either use a peeler or a knife and just do the best I can. It's not a perfect solution but mine aren't going anywhere special just yet, either. The people who get mine are quite happy with the 'perfectly imperfect' edges and bottoms. Although for a flat slab mold, you are probably going to have a whole wrinkled bottom side of your soap if you use the parchment paper.

You can go to the September Challenge thread, and there is a picture of my soap loaf just out of the mold, and it will give you an excellent idea of how parchment paper will work/look on the soap. Yucky, but it works. I hope to get freezer paper soon, and/or a planer!

So I used the parchment paper because as an avid baker I had a ton of it. No issues yet, will probably unmold tonight or tomorrow.

Lol NA seriously you had to see the wrinkles in the loaf pic. I have been nagging my fella for a planer. Hopefully there will be one under the Christmas tree. Things will be tight probably until next summer though, then we won't know what to do with ourselves. I've never had any issues other than wrinkles. My fella thought he was doing good so he 'stocked me up' and bought me rolls and rolls of it. I will have wrinkled soap for a long time, because I can't really bear to waste it, and I don't bake enough to chunk out of it that way anymore. I'm a pie girl now. I can rock some berry and apple pies though! Mmmm!

Latest posts

Back