Lining PVC?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lining really helps unmold but I always had wrinkles so I started using a very thin layer of vaseline instead.
If you line, you really need to use freezer paper, shiny side touching soap.

Make sure your end cap is really tight and maybe sit your pvc inside a tall pitcher just in case of a leak.

Lining really helps unmold but I always had wrinkles so I started using a very thin layer of vaseline instead.
If you line, you really need to use freezer paper, shiny side touching soap.

Make sure your end cap is really tight and maybe sit your pvc inside a tall pitcher just in case of a leak.
I love the Vaseline idea! I had them lined yesterday and when I practiced pulling out the design plate it caught on the paper. Later I watched some more videos and folks who lined tucked the paper out of the bottom and fixed it into their cap on the bottom. It just seems like an unpredictable variable, and I’d love to skip it! Vaseline sounds way better! I’m hoping they don’t leak, the cap has a screw down tightened. The creator of the mold says she uses canned food to push the soap out, if it sticks. Between that and the Vaseline, maybe that’ll be enough. 🤞🏼🍀🙏🏼

I don't line or vaseline my pvc pipe. However, my recipe sets up pretty good in 24 hours and isnt' sticky. That helps. But it literally slides right out. If it isn't coming out like it should, I just pop it in the freezer for about an hour, then when I take it out, I let it sit for a few minutes and then it will slide out. Let it come back to room temp before cutting it.

I don't line or vaseline my pvc pipe. However, my recipe sets up pretty good in 24 hours and isnt' sticky. That helps. But it literally slides right out. If it isn't coming out like it should, I just pop it in the freezer for about an hour, then when I take it out, I let it sit for a few minutes and then it will slide out. Let it come back to room temp before cutting it.
Hi jcandleattic, would your method work with a 60% butter 40% oil recipe? I too get wrinkles from the grease proof paper.

Even better!!!

I do exactly as @jcandleattic does.

@TashaBird did you try without lining, and if so, how did it go?
I haven’t tried w lining yet. But, I tried one without Vaseline, and it was a mess!!! The next one I used Vaseline and I put it in the freezer for an hour and it practically fell out. The edges were beautiful! It took a long time to be able to cut though. So, next time I may not do the freezer, or not do it for as long.

Interesting! Did you put that one without Vaseline in the freezer before trying to unmold? I've never used Vaseline, and never had any problem with mine releasing from the mold after f I put it in the freezer for a bit, then let it sit out for about 5 minutes to build up a little condensation.

I don't use a ton of soft oils, and I do use SL or salt, all of which help with unmolding. So recipe differences can also account for some of it. :)

I did not use the freezer the time I forgot the Vaseline. But the soap I made today, I forgot the Vaseline, so I’ll use the freezer. Then I’ll find out. I don’t know how I almost always forget something!
HOw long do you put yours in the freezer? And, long does it take to soften before you can cut it? I kept trying to cut mine too soon and my poor wire cutter was making a real sad noise! 😆

The freezer does make all the difference! I normally let my loaf sit out overnight to gel, then do 30 minutes in the freezer, then 5-10 minutes on the counter to let the condensation build up. Usually it slides right out, but if not, I gently tap the top open end (where there is head room) against a counter or table, which is enough to jar it loose.

Then I try to let it sit until all the condensation has evaporated before I try to cut it. That's a sign to me that it has defrosted enough to cut it without breaking a wire. Which I may or may not have done in the past. :p

I also so as @jcandleattic does. I don't line my mold and just freeze them and I've used an array of recipe. I have one that got super hard within 18 hours that I didn't even need to freeze it for it to slide out. I have one that's super duper soft that I can still sorta wiggle it after unmolding.
Remove the cap or anything you used to seal the bottom before it goes into the fridge. I always make sure the soap is completely frozen before taking it out. Tap it as soon as it's out of the fridge so it's shrunk to the minimum. I let the soap log thaw and air dry until it's dry to the touch, then I cut it. If it's still soft when I unmold (like this one batch of 100% sweet almond soap I made) then I let it dry for couple more days.

I did some experiments on this when I wanted to make some moons for some batches of facial bars.. What I decided to try after reading a lot about it.. Is I put an olive oil coated paper towel through the pipe to coat the sides.. After making the soaps.. I cooled down the molds and the soap just slid out, no problem.. Here is a crappy photo of the soap I used the moon from the pipe in:

20200821_144924.jpg

Attachments

• 20200821_144924.jpg
    20200821_144924.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 0
I don't line PVC molds anymore. No need! To unmold, usually I place in the freezer for an hour or so, then to "unstick" the soap I push with a soup can or the bottom of a glass. Then I can push it out easily with my hand. Last time I was able to unmold without freezing first. No liner...no ridge along the side.

Back