Lining moulds alternative

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dillsandwitch

Reaction score
I have already grown tired of using baking paper for lining my wooden moulds. I am looking at getting some mylar sheets to create liners with. Only thing is I have no idea if what I'm looking at purchasing will work.

Here is the description from the website of what I am looking at. Can anyone tell me if it will be okay to use?

Polyester (mylar) stencil film., 127 micron (5mil)

A sturdy, blank mylar stencil material capable of holding very fine detail. Milky white and glossy surface with excellent transparency.

Cuts easily, is solvent proof very durable and can (with a little care and attention) be reused hundreds of times.

Ideal for Airbrushing applications, fabric painting, wall stencils, laser cutting and crafting
Polyester Film (Mylar)

Polyester film or PET (polyethylene terephthalate) was developed in the mid-1950s, and manufactured by a variety of
companies and is branded under trade names such Mylar, Melinex and Hostaphan.

What are your moulds made of? I have been using PVC and MDF (like plywood) coated with epoxy. I spray them both with teflon and they are good to go without any paper or "grease" for at least 20+ pours (I'm guessing probably like 100-150 pours before respraying).

Look for Dupont PTFE spray. I get a 20oz bottle for $8 and that should do something like 50-70 ft of 3" PVC pipe, so it will cover A LOT!

When I unmould the soap off my MDF mould, it slides off beautifully with no soap sticking most of the time. Just take a wet cloth and wipe if off before pouring again.

This is what the soaps look like out of the load mould - the spots on the side are from the pour, not b/c it was sticking.
strawkiwi2.jpg

My moulds are made from pine. I dont even know if you can buy spray on teflon in Australia. Bears some reaseach I think. Still considering the mylar. its only $20 for a 3 metre roll but will see about the teflon spray. Hopefully I can get it at masters or bunnings

Dh bought me some cutting mats from the Reject shop. I haven't had time to try and do it yet, as I still like using freezer paper to line.

My moulds are made from pine. I dont even know if you can buy spray on teflon in Australia. Bears some reaseach I think. Still considering the mylar. its only $20 for a 3 metre roll but will see about the teflon spray. Hopefully I can get it at masters or bunnings

I would check Amazon. I don't see why there would be any reason it isn't available in AUS, most frying pans have it on them.

This is what you want:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UTX0R8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

That seller only sells to the 48 states. If there isn't a law against shipping to AUS and you can't find it, I'll ship it to you if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dh bought me some cutting mats from the Reject shop. I haven't had time to try and do it yet, as I still like using freezer paper to line.

I actually went to the reject shop today and found some cutting mats 3 for $3.00. I have made some liners from them tonight. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow. I will report back on how they go.

I would check Amazon. I don't see why there would be any reason it isn't available in AUS, most frying pans have it on them.

This is what you want:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UTX0R8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

That seller only sells to the 48 states. If there isn't a law against shipping to AUS and you can't find it, I'll ship it to you if you like.

Looks like we have something similar to that product. http://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-150g-ezy-glide-dry-lubricant-aerosol-_p1235305 will give it a go if the cutting board liners dont work or annoy me too much

Last edited by a moderator:
I use quilter's no-melt mylar found in fabric stores. My package label doesn't say how many microns it is, but it's pretty sturdy stuff. For what it's worth, this is the brand and type I bought for my liners): http://www.dritz.com/quilting-sewin...-kits-accessories/14328/#sthash.TZf8XYvU.dpbs I bought them from Joanne's Fabrics (they're a chain store here in the US).

IrishLass :)

IL, you are a font of awesome tips! My hubs is making me a loaf mold today out of an old pallet . My local fabric store sells that Mylar! I'm going to have to go get some!!

I actually went to the reject shop today and found some cutting mats 3 for $3.00. I have made some liners from them tonight. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow. I will report back on how they go.

Great, I think that would be better to use, than that spray on stuff from Bunnings as you just take it out and peel it away.

haven't tried them yet. Its too **** hot here. pushing 37 here right now. the heat is making me too lazy to do anything but be a couch potato. although soon im thinking of staking out the dogs spot on the floor right under the aircon vent. the unit in this house is too small to cool it properly on days like this :(

I'm with you, it's 35 here today and all I've done is catch up on the Amazing Race that was taped.

I use quilter's no-melt mylar found in fabric stores. My package label doesn't say how many microns it is, but it's pretty sturdy stuff. For what it's worth, this is the brand and type I bought for my liners): http://www.dritz.com/quilting-sewin...-kits-accessories/14328/#sthash.TZf8XYvU.dpbs I bought them from Joanne's Fabrics (they're a chain store here in the US).

IrishLass :)

I never would have thought to use that to line a mold. You've got my brain working :)

Back