Lining molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatherLather

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced the frustration of lining molds? Someone recommended parchment paper and for the life of me I cannot line this mold to save my life. If it isnt all crinkly then its teating when I try to insert the lid to flatten it.

I tried the soap lining turorial on bittercreek but cant get past a few steps because my paper keeps tearing.

This is going to drive me crazy I tell you :x

Freezer Paper (Butcher Paper) will probably be easier for you. It's usually on the same aisle as the wax paper, etc., but not always. I think some have found it in the hunting/fishing section of some stores. Made by Reynolds. HTH

This video saved me from smashing all my molds with a hammer....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mSg-OQ51hM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mSg-OQ51hM[/ame]

I think my issue is that I was trying to use parchment paper, it tears too easily.

I used butcher paper from Sam's Club and it is not lined on one side, it is paper only, so your best bet for freezer paper is buying the actual freezer paper in the grocery aisle. I know this, because the Dragon's Blood from Candle Science is very definitely THROUGH the butcher paper into the wooden log mold. I'm going to set the mold with some baking soda on it to try to leech some of the scent out. I will be picking up freezer paper before I make my next batch.

I recently got some reynolds freezer paper and it has a shiny side and a paper side, is this going to be enough. Ive bought parchment paper, wax paper and this freezer paper and im getting sick of buying all these useless papers.

Does anyone know of a brand that lines a mold easily, otherwise Im just gonna shell out the extra cash for a no line mold and wash my hands of this awfull process.

I made mold liners out of no-melt mylar (found in the quilting section of JoAnne Fabric). They work great! I will never line with freezer paper again. I made 5 pieces for each side of the mold then used clear packing tape to connect the bottom sides to side pieces. (so the vertical sides flap up and down). Highly recommend this method. I takes a little while and lots of precision to cut the pieces out but totally worth it. Big time saver.

Opagirl :)

opalgirl said:
I made mold liners out of no-melt mylar (found in the quilting section of JoAnne Fabric). They work great! I will never line with freezer paper again. I made 5 pieces for each side of the mold then used clear packing tape to connect the bottom sides to side pieces. (so the vertical sides flap up and down). Highly recommend this method. I takes a little while and lots of precision to cut the pieces out but totally worth it. Big time saver.

Opagirl :)

I use mylar liners, too. I used to line with freezer paper way back when, but it became quite tedious for me to cut a new liner out for every time I made a batch of soap. Like you said, it takes precision to cut the mylar to size, but once you do, you have a liner for life.

IrishLass :)

. Like you said, it takes precision to cut the mylar to size, but once you do, you have a liner for life.

IrishLass :)

Too bad I'm awful at crafts and other tasks that require hand/eye co-ordination, I managed to line the mold but I wasnt about to take hours upon hours to figure out how to make it all perfectly smooth so I know the soap isnt gonna come out without some bumps.

I'll probably just shell out for some kinda pvc/plexiglass mold or whatever :D

RatherLather said:
It's a wooden mold, you have to line them or else the lye degrades them.

I have wooden mold and im on 6th batch, wood looks ok with a discoloration but generally i dont see a problem for now.

Sometimes the soap sticks to the mold as well. At least you can get the liner out of the mold and then peel the liner off the soap.

But if you never lined to begin with, then you're going to have trouble getting the loaf out.

Suisan2 said:
Sometimes the soap sticks to the mold as well. At least you can get the liner out of the mold and then peel the liner off the soap.

But if you never lined to begin with, then you're going to have trouble getting the loaf out.

No, i dont have a problem with getting soap out. I have dismantling mold

IMG_9763.JPG

When i unscrew two nuts i remove sides and soap is lying only on bottom piece of wood. Then i take flat piece of metal and scrape it off. Yesterday i unmolded maybe 6 hours after pouring without problems.

Eventually that woods gonna start to break down and you risk getting wood fibers into your soap, it's fine as long as you dont mind buying/making new molds I guess.

Back