Lining a Pringles Can

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren27

Reaction score
Hey everyone, going to attempt making a batch in a pringles can tonight, how do you recommend I line the can?

I usually don't - I just peel it off. But if you wanted to re-use it I would cut a round piece of freezer or parchment (freezer will wrinkle less) paper to fit in the bottom, and then roll up a rectangular piece to fit in the column, with a good few inches sticking out the top so you could tug it out.
Or if you don't mind a few wrinkles, line it with a plastic bag. Hmm OR you could use a plastic bag with a paper liner inside and you wouldn't have as many wrinkles...

excellent! thank you! I read that the aluminum could react with the lye causing bubbling, you have not experienced this?

I usually don't - I just peel it off. But if you wanted to re-use it I would cut a round piece of freezer or parchment (freezer will wrinkle less) paper to fit in the bottom, and then roll up a rectangular piece to fit in the column, with a good few inches sticking out the top so you could tug it out.
Or if you don't mind a few wrinkles, line it with a plastic bag. Hmm OR you could use a plastic bag with a paper liner inside and you wouldn't have as many wrinkles...

First I cut the bottom off the can.

Then a take a square of my liner, and set it on the plastic lid, and put it back on the can. This becomes my bottom.

Then I take a piece of freezer or parchment paper, cut it to be slightly longer than the can and about 1.5 times the circumference, so there is plenty of overlap.

If your paper is still wanting to curl (I usually use precut sheets that are flat) then you want to put it in so that the direction of the curl forces the paper against the sides of the can.

Here is my first soap video where I used a can.

https://youtu.be/NN06pEUXMgo

I tried this once and it worked like a charm! I cut off the bottom of the Pringles can and used it upside down as the mold. I wrapped plastic wrap around the bottom opening, using a rubber band to hold it in place, then I put the lid back on to make a more level bottom. I also lined the inside with parchment paper because I didn't want to risk the lining reacting with my CP soap. As Seawolfe mentioned, leave a little parchment sticking up at the top so you can pull it out, and voila!

P.S. PVC pipe works well for this, too.

I remove the bottom of the can and tape the lid on the top, then turn it over. You need to really tape around the lid well so that there will be no leaks. I then grease the inside of the can with petroleum jelly and then line with freezer paper. The petroleum jelly makes the paper stick to the sides, thus it stays in place. When soap has set up, remove the lid from the bottom and use a long round object to push the soap out. It should slide out fairly easy if freezer paper was used as a liner.

I too cut the bottom off and use the lid as the bottom. I line with freezer paper and it works like a charm. I used it unlined once and got a mini volcano so assumed it was from the lining in the can. maybe ate the plastic coating. So, line them and it's easy.

I'm in the US, and the liner of the Pringles cans that I have used is either not aluminium - its more like mylar, or they have coated it so well it doesn't matter. In any case its a non-issue.

Edit to add: Oops didnt see Shunts post, although columns are more prone to expanding out the top, but honestly I still don't think that's an aluminum lining, but I've been wrong before :)

Last edited:
According to a gent I know that supplies the packaging industry - many of these use vacuum deposition processed mylar or PPE sheets. They do use aluminum, but his opinion was that there would be very little opportunity for the aluminum to react as it is coated subsequent to the deposition process.

So, there ya go. I also had a volcano, but I also thought it was because of the way the mold heated up. It definitely seemed to retain more heat (reflective coating maybe?)

Has anyone used colorants when using a cylinder shape soap? I was thinking of the paper towel role method.

Has anyone used colorants when using a cylinder shape soap? I was thinking of the paper towel role method.

Soaping 101 has a couple of videos that make swirled soap in a Pringles can.

The paper towel core would be neat... If your batter is thin enough a funnel pour would be nice.

Hey everyone, going to attempt making a batch in a pringles can tonight, how do you recommend I line the can?

I just take wax paper, roll it up and put it in the Pringles can. Open up the roll of wax paper to the sides of the can. Pour the soap in and cover it with a towel for 24 hrs.
Wax paper peels right off.

Back